USC head coach Shane Beamer and offensive line coach Greg Adkins have done work with OT Grayson Mains (6-5 285) of Suwanee, GA. Of course, they were late arrivals in his recruiting jumping in with an offer on February 1st. But Mains liked Beamer and Adkins from the start, and their concerted effort in recruiting him landed them a spot in his top three along with Tennessee and Michigan State.
“They have everything I’m looking for,” Mains said. “I love the new coaching staff, especially Coach Beamer. Seems like he’s got a lot of personality, seems like a great guy to be around. Coach Adkins has a great track record. He seems like a great guy to be around as well. I could definitely see him coaching me. He knows quite a lot about the game. And going to an academic standpoint, they have exactly what I want to study there. I’ve been talking to my family quite a lot about it lately, and it seems like it’s perfect for me.”
Mains learned more about the program and the facilities thru a recent virtual visit, and he has scheduled an in person visit to campus for later this month.
“It was amazing,” he said. “Very high energy. I got to talk to everybody on staff. That was great. And I am planning to go up to do an academic tour on the 26th (of March).”
Mains said he also plans to visit Tennessee and Michigan State as soon as he can. There is no favorite among his top three, and he hasn’t totally shut down his recruiting to others. As much as he likes the Gamecocks at this point, they haven’t separated from the others.
“I have the same feelings towards the other schools,” Mains said. “I’ve still got a lot of stuff I want to figure out. “It (the choice) is certainly going to be the place that feels most like home. It’s going to be the coaching staff that I see really wants me, really wants me to be a part of their program and where I feel like I can be developed the best.”
Some of his other offers are Air Force, Duke, Arizona State, Mississippi State, Wake Forest, Purdue, UCF, West Virginia and East Carolina. Mains said he hopes to make his decision by the end of the summer before the start of his senior season.
- USC is in the top 12 with 4-star DT Nick James of IMG Academy. The others are Oregon, Ohio State, Alabama, Southern Cal, Wisconsin, Penn State, Arizona, Florida, Texas A&M, UCF and Georgia.
- USC QB target Tayven Jackson of Greenwood, IN did not include the Gamecocks in his top 9. They are Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Auburn, UCLA, Florida State, Washington State, Arizona State, Arkansas and Tennessee.
- USC and Clemson target CB Alfonzo Allen Hallandale, FL committed to Arizona State.
- RB Emmanuel Henderson of Hartford, AL, who had Clemson and USC in his final 10, committed to Alabama.
- USC target TE CJ Hawkins of Tampa committed to Florida.
- USC target CB Jordan Allen of Lafayette, LA was offered by Tennessee.
- Clemson offered DE Samuel Okunlola (6-4 220) of Brockton, MA. He’s rated a three star and ranked the #37 strongside defensive end nationally in the 247Sports Composite. He also has offers from Coastal Carolina, Arizona State, Texas, Vanderbilt, West Virginia, Kansas, Ole Miss, Michigan, Maryland, Purdue and Oregon.
- USC offered DT Curtis Neal (6-1 290) of Cornelius, NC. He’s rated a 4-star and ranked 36th nationally among defensive tackles in the 247Sports Composite. Some of his other offers are Arizona State, Texas A&M, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Louisville, Kentucky, Penn State, Arkansas, Florida State, Miami, Alabama, Oregon, Mississippi State, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, North Carolina, NC State, UCF, Southern Cal, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Rutgers and Virginia.
- USC offered CB Kyron Chambers (6-0 195) of Dallas. He’s rated a 3-star is ranked #45 nationally among corners in the 247Sports Composite. Some of his other offers are Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Georgia Tech, Cincinnati, Indiana and Washington State.
- USC offered teammates 2023 CB Amare Ferrell (6-1 190) and 2023 LB Jaden Robinson (6-2 210) of Lake City, FL.
- USC offered 2023 TE Mac Markway (6-4 250) of St. Louis. He’s the cousin of former Gamecock TE Kyle Markway.
- USC offered 2023 LB Jaiden Ausberry (6-1 195) of Baton Rouge.
- Mauldin DB Randy Caldwell was offered by Baylor.
- Hammond RB CJ Stokes made a virtual visit with Notre Dame on Saturday.
- DB Elijah Vereen of North Myrtle Beach conducted a virtual visit with Dartmouth.
- Lower Richland LB Mark Davis committed to Limestone.
- The USC women offered 2023 6-4 Riley Stack of Wren, the daughter of former Gamecock star Ryan Stack.