Is the Miami football program back to national prominence? The pollsters think so as the Hurricanes are ranked 7th heading into Saturday’ night’s showdown with top-ranked Clemson in Death Valely. And so does Clemson coach Dabo Swinney. Speaking at his Tuesday press conference, Swinney lauded this Miami team which has been bolstered by some key transfers and the development of some younger players under Manny Diaz. Clemson has won the last two meetings with the Hurricanes, including a 38-3 decision in the 2017 ACC Championship Game, but the Tigers are 0-2 against Miami at home and trail in the series 6-5. Clemson opened as a 16 point favorite and is now favored by 14 for the 7:30 kickoff on ABC.
Some of Swinney’s key comments previewing Miami:
- Biggest challenge they have had all year, complete football team, dudes everywhere, playing with a lot of confidence on offense, fast, quarterback a speciall player, running backs are physical, length outside, experienced offensive line.
- King is a great quarterback, he can make all the throws, has the mindset of a running back, averages 5.4 yards after contact, 15 yards per scramble, makes big plays in passing game.
- Lot of special talent on defense starting up front, bunch of guys who can run on the back end, a complete team in every facet of the game.
- They (Clemson) are 3-0 and haven’t come close to playing their best football. They are in a good place with their health, two more tests this week Wednesday and Friday.
- Most pleasing part of his team after three games has been the special teams, very consistent, Spires has been very good, kicking game good, coverage game good, and the return game has been a real standout part of the group.
- Miami is not afraid to bring pressure, but it starts with their guys up front, fast and physical at the line of scrimmage, they will bring corners and backers.
- Miami will try and play really fast on offense and try and create explosive plays, but they are committed to the run, they will take shots and try some gadget plays.
- Getting more than could be expected out of Bryan Bresee, and he’s just going to get better throughout his career. He’s a special talent but far from a complete player
- High potential for explosive plays on both sides vs Miami, lots of good players, lots of players who will play in the NFL in the future.
- Both Miami defensive ends are very good, his tackles will have their hands full, that’s going to be a great battle and will be a key to who wins the game.
- Loves his corners, has several guys who can play, doesn’t care who starts, doesn’t care how much each one plays, it’s a competitive group, they can keep guys fresh, they have the type of depth you need to have.
- He has not heard from Deshaun Watson since the shakeup in Houston Monday, and he has no thoughts about his name floating around in conjunction with that job.
Dabo Swinney press conference previewing Miami