Clemson, Coastal Carolina and USC learned Sunday night they would be hosting NCAA regionals this coming weekend. Monday afternoon they learned who will be coming to their locations as the entire tournament field was announced.
Clemson (43-17) is the #4 overall tournament seed and as such would host a Super Regional should they win their regional. They are paired with the winner from the Auburn Regional.
The Tigers, who have an RPI of 6 and are coming off an ACC Tournament championship, will open play Friday against Lipscomb (36-24), the regular season and tournament champions of the Atlantic Sun Conference. First pitch is set for 1:00 PM. The Bisons lost their first two games of pool play in the tournament then won their next three. Their most notable non-conference wins include a pair over Notre Dame and one each over Louisville and Arkansas. The Bisons have an RPI of 90.
Tennessee (38-19) and Charlotte (34-26) complete the Clemson Regional. The Vols are the #2 seed in the regional and have an RPI of 20. Charlotte, which won the Conference USA Tournament, has an RPI of 67. The 49ers played Clemson in February and dropped a 9-5 game at Doug Kingsmore Stadium.
The Chanticleers (39-19) are the #10 overall seed, and their bracket is paired with Virginia for the Super Regional matchup. They will open up Friday night at 7:00 PM against Rider (35-19). The Broncos carry an RPI of 99 They finished 4th in the regular season of the Metro Atlanta Athletic Conference (MAAC), but they won the conference tournament. The Chants, who won the Sun Belt regular season title, have an RPI of 14.
Duke (35-21) is the #2 seed in the Coastal regional and will face UNCW (34-21). Duke has an RPI of 25 and the Seahawks an RPI of 39.
USC (39-19) is the #15 national seed, and their bracket is paired with the Florida regional. The Gamecocks won 34 of their first 40 games and reached #1 in the RPI, but they stumbled down the stretch to finish 6th in the overall SEC standings. They have an RPI of 8. The Gamecocks will face Central Connecticut State (36-12) Friday night at 7:00 PM. The Blue Devils won the Northeast regular season and tournament championships. They have an RPI of 111. Their best non-conference opponent was LSU and they lost twice to the Tigers by a combined score of 39-4 in early March.
Campbell (44-13) will be the #2 seed in Columbia. The Camels won the Big South regular season and tournament titles and have an RPI of 13. They have nine Q1 wins including victories over Rutgers, East Carolina and North Carolina. They will face the #3 seed NC State Wolfpack (35-19) at 1:00 PM Friday. State has an RPI of 23 with 10 Q1 victories. The Wolfpack split their two ACC Tournament games defeating Duke and losing to Miami.
USC coach Mark Kingston media session
SportsTalk interview with Clemson coach Erik Bakich
Auburn Regional hosted by Auburn
- Game 1: Southern Miss. (41-17) vs. Samford (36-23) | 2 p.m. Friday | ESPN+
- Game 2: Auburn (34-21-1) vs. Penn (32-14) | 7 p.m. Friday | ESPN+
Baton Rouge Regional hosted by LSU
- Game 1: LSU (43-15) vs. Tulane (19-40) | 3 p.m. Friday | ESPNU
- Game 2: Oregon St. (39-18) vs. Sam Houston (38-23) | 8 p.m. Friday | ESPN+
Charlottesville Regional hosted by Virginia
- Game 1: Virginia (45-12) vs. Army West Point (38-16) | Noon Friday | ESPN+
- Game 2: East Carolina (45-17) vs. Oklahoma (31-26) | 7 p.m. Friday | ESPN2
Clemson Regional hosted by Clemson
- Game 1: Clemson (43-17) vs. Lipscomb (36-24) | 1 p.m. Friday | ESPN+
- Game 2: Tennessee (38-19) vs. Charlotte (34-26) | 6 p.m. Friday | ESPNU
Columbia Regional hosted by South Carolina
- Game 1: Campbell (44-13) vs. NC State (35-19) | 1 p.m. Friday | ACCN
- Game 2: South Carolina (39-19) vs. Central Conn. St. (36-12) | 7 p.m. Friday | ESPN+
Conway Regional hosted by Coastal Carolina
- Game 1: Duke (35-21) vs. UNCW (34-21) | 1 p.m. Friday | ESPN+
- Game 2: Coastal Carolina (39-19) vs. Rider (35-19) | 7 p.m. Friday | ESPN+
Coral Gables Regional hosted by Miami (FL)
- Game 1: Texas (38-20) vs. Louisiana (40-22) | 2 p.m. Friday | LHN
- Game 2: Miami (FL) (40-19) vs. Maine (32-19) | 7 p.m. Friday | ESPN+
Fayetteville Regional hosted by Arkansas
- Game 1: Arkansas (41-16) vs. Santa Clara (35-18) | 3 p.m. Friday | ESPN+
- Game 2: TCU (37-22) vs. Arizona (33-24) | 9 p.m. Friday | ESPNU
Gainesville Regional hosted by Florida
- Game 1: UConn (43-15) vs. Texas Tech (39-21) | Noon Friday | ESPNU
- Game 2: Florida (44-14) vs. Florida A&M (29-28) | 5:30 p.m. Friday | ESPN+
Lexington Regional hosted by Kentucky
- Game 1: Kentucky (36-18) vs. Ball St. (36-21) | Noon Friday | SECN
- Game 2: West Virginia (39-18) vs. Indiana (41-18) | 7 p.m. Friday | ESPN+
Nashville Regional hosted by Vanderbilt
- Game 1: Oregon (37-20) vs. Xavier (37-23) | 1 p.m. Friday | ESPN+
- Game 2: Vanderbilt (41-18) vs. Eastern Ill. (38-19) | 8 p.m. Friday | SECN
Stanford Regional hosted by Stanford
- Game 1: Stanford (38-16) vs. San Jose St. (31-25) | 5 p.m. Friday | ESPN+
- Game 2: Texas A&M (36-25) vs. Cal St. Fullerton (31-22) | 10 p.m. Friday | ESPN2
Stillwater Regional hosted by Oklahoma St.
- Game 1: DBU (45-14) vs. Washington (34-18) | 1 p.m. Friday | ESPN+
- Game 2: Oklahoma St. (41-18) vs. Oral Roberts (46-11) | 7 p.m. Friday | ESPN+
Terre Haute Regional hosted by Indiana St.
- Game 1: Indiana St. (42-15) vs. Wright St. (39-21) | 1 p.m. Friday | ESPN+
- Game 2: Iowa (42-14) vs. North Carolina (35-22) | 7 p.m. Friday | ACCN
Tuscaloosa Regional hosted by Alabama
- Game 1: Boston College (35-18) vs. Troy (39-20) | 3 p.m. Friday | ESPN+
- Game 2: Alabama (40-19) vs. Nicholls (34-22) | 7 p.m. Friday | ESPN+
Winston-Salem Regional hosted by Wake Forest
- Game 1: Maryland (41-19) vs. Northeastern (44-14) | 1 p.m. Friday | ESPN+
- Game 2: Wake Forest (47-10) vs. George Mason (34-25) | 7 p.m. Friday | ESPN+