USC Monday offered WR Davion Dozier (6-4 190) of Moody, AL. The Gamecocks had not had much contact with Moody until recently. Area recruiter Jody Wright got a look at some film and liked it well enough to follow up. And then Sunday Dozier performed well at the Under Armour camp in Georgia, and Wright got back to him with the offer.
“After I did the UA All-America camp this past Sunday, I got on the phone with them this morning (Monday) and I got the offer from the tight ends coach,” Dozier said. “He just recruits our area. He knows my coach. He told me he loved my film and he’s going to get it in front of the receivers coach, but since he recruits the area, I already got the offer.”
Dozier is a big receiver, and his size caught Wright’s attention.
“He told me he loved my film,” Dozier said. “They said I was explosive, and I was a good talent at my size, and they really liked me up there.”
Dozier admitted to not knowing a lot about the Gamecocks right now. However, the name of one former player is stuck in his mind.
“Deebo. Deebo Samuel who went there,” he said. “That’s my second SEC offer and my third Power Five, so they are big up there.”
Dozier was also offered Monday by Tennessee. He also has an offer from Georgia Tech. His other offers are from the next level down…Troy, Northern Alabama, Eastern Kentucky, USF, Georgia State, Arkansas State and North Texas.
Dozier will visit Tennessee this Saturday, and that’s the only visit date he has established. He does plan to get to USC this spring, and he also wants to see Georgia Tech, Troy and North Texas.
As he judges one school against the next to work towards a decision, Dozier will have several criteria to weigh.
“My relationship with the coaches,” he said. “How I would fit in with the offense. How I would be used. And most importantly my education. I want to get into business.”
Last season Dozier caught 52 passes for 833 yards and 12 touchdowns.
Dozier wasn’t the only player from Moody offered by the Gamecocks Monday. 204 ATH A’mon Lane (5-10 178) also added the Gamecocks to his list which also includes Mississippi State, Arkansas State, Memphis, Louisville, Arizona and Charlotte.
More Monday Notes:
- Per his dad, QB Dylan Lonergan has locked in a visit to USC for the spring game April 16th. He’s also planning to visit Alabama, Ohio State and Georgia Tech as they work around baseball in March and April.
- USC and Clemson target OT Olaus Alinen will visit Southern Cal this Saturday.
- CB Bryce Thornton of Alpharetta, GA plans to visit Clemson March 7th.
- USC and Clemson target WR Christian Hamilton is set to visit Florida March 19th.
- USC target WR Jacob Page will visit Washington this weekend. He also was offered by Memphis Monday.
- USC target LB Jordan Hall will visit Florida Saturday.
- USC target RB Benjamin Hall was offered by Minnesota.
- USC target WR Malik Benson was offered by Arkansas.
- CB Braeden Marshall, who is drawing Clemson interest, was offered by Arkansas and Tennessee.
- Clemson target DE Desmond Umeozulu was offered by Louisville.
- Clemson target WR Tyler Williams was offered by Minnesota. He will visit Stanford March 5th.