Third ranked Clemson and fifth ranked Georgia renew their bitter rivalry this Saturday night in Charlotte. The Tigers are three-point favorites. This will be the 65th meeting in the series which Georgia leads 42-18-4. They last played in 2014, a Bulldog victory. It’s just the second time, however, the two will meet as top ten teams. Clemson is 14-11 all-time in games matching two top ten teams.
Tuesday, Clemson coach Dabo Swinney met with the media Tuesday to preview the matchup with the Bulldogs and take questions about his team. Here are some key comments from Swinney:
- Georgia is built in the trenches on both sides, massive, strong up the middle on defense, great at stopping the run, linebackers are outstanding, safeties are great players, involved in run game, physical, team built right up the middle.
- Georgia will come off the bus and play action and take shots down the field, they will want to run the ball, they’ve recruited well, good players up and down the lineup.
- They are in a good place health wise, will have a tough practice today.
- All of his players are available, including CB Fred Davis who is facing a misdemeanor charge stemming from a high-speed car crash in July that seriously injured a postal worker.
- They have a very talented group at running back, can’t see any one back getting a heavy load with carries, expects the work to be distributed among several backs.
- Excited to see what the offensive line will look like Saturday, big challenge right from the start, liked how they have looked in camp.
- They don’t have a lot of depth at corner, but he likes all six of the guys there, lots of talent, all will play a lot.
- Happy for Will Muschamp landing a job at his alma mater, always been an excellent coach, good pickup for Kirby Smart.