SAF Mumu Bin-Wahad (6-0 180) of Loganville, GA recently named his top ten and USC was on the short list. Gamecocks secondary coach Torrian Gray jumped in on Bin-Wahad with an offer on February 1st. Since then, his plan has been to stay in touch with Bin-Wahad without wearing out his welcome.
“We talk probably every other week, just chopping it up,” Bin-Wahad said. “He doesn’t try to bother me too much. He’s basically told me everything he needs to say.”
Whatever Gray has told Bin-Wahad has been working. The two seem to have developed a strong relationship at this stage of the recruiting process.
“Coach Gray is my guy and he offered me about a month and a half ago,” Ben-Wahad said. “We’ve been talking ever since and he wants me to come there. He likes my ball skills, my ability to play man or zone and he likes my size.”
Ben-Wahad also has on his short list Penn State, Georgia Tech, Michigan State, Nebraska, West Virginia, Mississippi State, Arizona State, TCU and UCF. He does not have a favorite and he wants to take some visits before making a decision. In fact, he has scheduled an official visit to West Virginia for June 7th.
As for the Gamecocks, Bin-Wahad has visited the campus before, and he has a positive feeling for them at this stage of his recruiting.
“I really feel good South Carolina. I think they are recruiting me pretty good,” he said. “It’s a place that I’ve been watching growing up, so it’s a place I feel comfortable knowing.”
Bin-Wahad added two factors about the schools will be high on his list as he works on his decision.
“NFL development and tradition,” he said.
Bin-Wahad can play safety, corner and nickel. Last season he recorded 24 tackles with 3 interceptions and 8 pass deflections. He’s rated a three-star prospect in the 247Sports Composite and the #40 safety nationally in the 2022 class.
Other recruiting notes
- Clemson target WR Brenen Thompson plans to visit Texas A&M this weekend.
- USC QB target Tanner Bailey of Gordo, AL made a visit to Oregon Wednesday.
- SAF Emory Floyd of Powder Springs, GA had a virtual visit Wednesday with USC.
- USC offered 2023 DE Yhonzae Pierre (6-4 220) of Eufaula, AL.
- USC re-offered 2023 DE Kelby Collins (6-5 250) of Gardendale, AL.
- USC offered 2023 OT Luke Montgomery (6-5 260) of Findlay, OH.
- USC offered 2024 CB Desmond Ricks (6-1 170) of Chesapeake, VA and IMG Academy in Bradenton, FL.
- USC offered 2024 CB Ify Obidegwu (6-2 180) of Baltimore.
- USC offered 2025 DB Blake Woodby of Baltimore. He also has Boston College and Ole Miss offers.
- DB Quan Peterson of South Pointe was offered by Marshall.