DT Xzavier McLeod of Camden and OT Monroe Freeling of Oceanside Collegiate are the two most prominent 2023 recruits in the state uncommitted at this point. That will change on Thursday, however. McLeod announced Sunday afternoon he will make his commitment announcement Thursday at 5:00 PM in a gathering at Zemp Stadium.
McLeod said Sunday night he has narrowed his decision to USC, Michigan, Florida and Georgia, and he has not yet made the decision. McLeod made official visits in June to Michigan and LSU. He made multiple unofficial visits to USC, including the spring game in April and one in late July. He also made unofficial visits to Florida and Georgia.
Freeling has been focusing on his season and as a result has gone off the grid regarding his availability to discuss his recruiting status according to a source with knowledge of his position. Freeling took official visits in June to Notre Dame, Miami and Florida. According to the source, Notre Dame no longer is in play, but Miami, Florida, Clemson, Alabama and Georgia are. He made unofficial visits to Clemson, Alabama and Georgia in the spring. He also went back to Alabama and Georgia for unofficial visits in late July. Freeling plans to attend games at those five schools left on his list but no dates have been determined.
FBS commitments from the state for the 2023 class:
- WR Colton Phares of Beaufort to Appalachian State
- TE Max Drag of Chapin to Appalachian State
- WR Chris Lawson of Ridge View to Appalachian State
- WR Apollos Cook of Airport to Duke
- WR Zion Agnew of Ridge View to East Carolina
- LS Gannon Burt of Fort Mill to Florida
- SAF Travon West of Wren to Indiana
- LB Brayshawn Littlejohn of Gaffney to Missouri
- CB Brandon Cisse of Lakewood to NC State
- OT DJ Geth of Dorman to North Carolina
- OT Jordan Knox of Northwestern to Northwestern
- QB LaNorris Sellers of South Florence to Syracuse
- LB Miquel Dingle of Byrnes to Texas Tech
- OT Markee Anderson of Dorman to USC
- DE Monteque Rhames of Sumter to USC
- CB Judge Collier of Legion Collegiate to USC
- SAF Thomas Williams of Powdersville to Virginia Tech
- DT Eamon Smalls of Beaufort to West Virginia
- WR Elijah Caldwell of Northwestern to West Virginia