TE Tyrus Washington (6-4 230) of Leesburg, GA is emerging as a top tight end target for USC in the 2022 class. Gamecocks tight ends coach Erik Kimrey is in regular contact with him, and Washington feels Kimrey is serious about bringing him into the program.
“Been talking a lot. I like it. They’ve been getting in contact with me a lot, so that’s good,” Washington said. “We talk once or twice a week. I did a virtual visit with them and met all the coaches and stuff. I loved it. It’s high class. I like it.”
Washington fits the mold of the modern tight end prospect, one who can attach to the line and block inside, and one that can flex out and run routes like a receiver. He said Kimrey sees those skills in him and feels he’d be a good fit in their offense.
“They say I’m a great pick up for them because they don’t have to change the offense,” Washington said. “I feel highly recruited by them. He said he doesn’t have to change personnel. And we’re close, real close.”
Washington also has had conversations with head coach Shane Beamer.
“He’s funny, crazy and funny,” Washington said. “You need that.”
Washington said his plan is to name a top six on April 5th, and USC is close on making that list. He said he’s also talked with the Gamecocks about taking an official visit.
Arkansas, Cincinnati and Kansas State are three others he cited as having heavy conversations with him. He also has offers from USF, Coastal Carolina, Pitt, Ole Miss, Boston College, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Maryland, Georgia Tech, Nebraska, NC State, UCF, and his most recent one from Marshall.
Washington plans to make his decision before his season.
- USC offered LB Tyler Banks (6-3 230) of Crewe, VA. He’s rated a 3-star and ranked #87 among athletes nationally in the 2022 class in the 247 Sports Composite.
- USC offered 2023 LB Drayk Bowen (6-2 215) of Merrillville, IN. He’s rated a 4-star by 247Sports and ranked the #3 outside linebacker nationally in the class. He also has offers from Notre Dame, Arkansas, Cincinnati, Michigan, Oklahoma State, LSU and others. Last season he had 80 tackles with 13 for loss and 5 sacks.
- USC offered 2024 DT Hevin Brown-Shuler (6-4 260) of Atlanta. Georgia Tech, Florida State, Arkansas and Georgia are some other offers.
- SAF Sherrod Covil of Chesapeake, VA, who as offered by Clemson this week, includes the Tigers in his top 11. The others are Southern Cal, Virginia, Penn State, Notre Dame, Oregon, Virginia Tech, Alabama, Auburn, Maryland and Michigan.
- SAF Kamari Wilson of IMG Academy has USC and Clemson in his top 15. The others are Ohio State, Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, Michigan, Penn State, Rutgers, Tennessee, Florida, Maryland, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Oregon.
- RB Damari Alston of Atlanta had a virtual visit with USC Thursday night. He’s a heavily recruited prospect with upwards of 40offers, and he’s not yet cut his list. But Auburn is suggesting he reclassify for 2021, enroll there this fall and skip his senior season. Alston said that’s something he could do academically with one more English course, but he’d need the approval of his school.
- Michigan offered Hammond RB CJ Stokes.
- Clemson target SAF Malaki Starks of Jefferson, GA committed to Georgia Thursday. Alabama was his other finalist.
- Gray Collegiate RB Kazarius Adams was offered by Navy.