Last night was one to forget for USC coach Will Muschamp. The 48-3 drubbing at the hands of Texas A&M was the second worst defeat of his tenure with the Gamecocks and no doubt marks the low point of his time in Columbia. The fan base is getting rowdy threw their various platforms. But Sunday night, it was business as usual for Muschamp as he took questions from the media regarding the A&M loss and this week’s game at Ole Miss. And his biggest news was that there will be open competition for the starting job among his three quarterbacks this week after Collin Hill’s struggles against the Aggies.
Some of Muschamp’s key comments:
- Doesn’t feel a whole lot different after watching the tape, were whipped up front. Got to make plays vertically down the field. Had five drops at receiver. Have to find others to help Shi Smith.
- Thought defensive front was firmer than vs LSU but wore down as the game went on. Have to be able to get off the field on third down. Have to get back after it and get ready for Ole Miss.
- All three quarterbacks will have a chance to play this weekend. The most productive quarterback that gives them the best chance to win will get the snaps. There is no clear starter for them at quarterback as of tonight.
- They need a spark at quarterback, need to change some things up, got to find a spark somewhere. That’s a position where they can change some things up and provide a spark.
- Brooks has been a guy that has caught the ball in practice but he had three drops last night, he’s got to make the plays when presented, and Josh Vann needs to become more consistent.
- They have done some good things at South Carolina, and it’s frustrating that people lose sight of that over the last two games.
- Expects Roderick and Sanders to be back this week.
- Sherrod Greene is healing, had an X-Ray Friday, is not ready for contact.
Will Muschamp Sunday night conference call