Dabo Swinney commenced his 15th spring practice as Clemson’s head football coach Monday afternoon. He begins the preparations for the 2023 season with a new offensive coordinator in Garrett Riley and a new starting quarterback in Cade Klubnik. Swinney told the media prior to the start of practice that if they can improve throwing the football and defending the pass, they’ll be a good team in 2023.
Key comments from Swinney:
- Several guys will be limited or out for spring practice…Beaux Collins, Brody Conn, Sheridan Jones, Matthew Maloney, Payton Page, Ruke Orhorhoro, Walker Parks, Adam Randall, Marcus Tate, Xavier Thomas.
- QB Paul Tyson has a thumb injury, Troy Stellato still not 100%, Jalyn Phillips had ankle surgery after the season, John Williams had appendix removed.
- Jeremiah Trotter’s mother passed away after a battle with breast cancer, he is back on campus but will be leaving this weekend for her funeral.
- Miller is at right tackle, Leigh will get a look at left tackle this spring, Mitchell Mayes at left guard, Howard and Linthicum will be in at guard and center and rotating, Sadler at left tackle, Pennington will get more work this spring as well as Tucker. It’s a veteran group, only lost one from last season.
- Has plenty of confidence in Robert Gunn stepping in at kicker.
- Very excited about the linebacker room. Said not many programs have trio like Carter, Trotter and Woodaz, and he likes how the newcomers look and the depth they will provide.
- Klubnik looks great, he’s up to 200 pounds, wants to get to 208, wants to see him take command and be a leader, wants to see Christopher Vizzina compete as well, Hunter Helms dealing with a foot, Trent Pearman also in the QB room.
- Wants to see Mukuba take a step forward with maturity and be more disciplined, he’s got to work harder this off season than he did last season to be more physical.
- Got to get better on pass defense, believes Wes Goodwin has a good plan for fixing that, feels good about people in the defensive room, have good players there, bet better on pass defense and better passing the ball and they’ll have a good year.