USC receivers coach Justin Stepp identified who he thinks is an explosive receiver in Malik Benson (6-1 185) of Hutchinson JC, KS and offered him late this week. Benson is a native of Kansas who played his first season at Hutch last season and will be back there in 2022. He can come out in December and Stepp is hoping he’ll want to get more involved with him and the Gamecocks.
“He texted me two days ago and told me he liked my film,” Benson said. “I got Auburn and Tennessee (offers), and then he called me and said he loved my film, he loved that I can run and he loved what I can do with the ball. Then he officially offered me.”
Benson admitted he’s not all that familiar with the USC program at this point, he does know of one former Gamecock receiver who has made it big in the NFL.
“They are a good program. They develop,” he said. “And they had Deebo (Samuel). He’s producing in the NFL.”
The Gamecocks fall in line with Georgia, Miami, Kansas State, Baylor, Iowa State, Houston and Kansas as offers for Benson. He’s just thankful for all the opportunities after not qualifying coming out of high school.
“I’m just excited to see that my hard work is paying off,” Benson said. “I haven’t really decided where I’m going to take visits. That’s probably going to be in the fall. I won’t be taking any visits in the spring unless we have some type of bye week (from spring practice).”
When he does take those visits, Benson said he’ll be looking for a place that checks a few key boxes for him.
“Just a place that feels like home,” Benson said. “Feels like it’s more than just football. A place that’s going to develop me to get to the next level. Where there’s a quarterback I can trust who can get it to me. And an offense that uses their receivers.”
Benson earned JUCO All-American honors last season after catching 43 passes for 1229 yards and 11 touchdowns.
Notes from Friday
- LB Josiah Trotter of Philadelphia named a top five of Clemson, USC, Penn State, West Virginia and Virginia Tech.
- DT Keith Sampson updates his top 5 which is now #Gamecocks, #Clemson, Florida State, Ohio State and NC State.
- USC offered RB Kalib Hicks of Denton TX.
- USC target DT Stephiylan Green was offered by Auburn.
- Clemson target CB Braxton Myers was offered by Mississippi State.
- USC target 2024 DT Hevin Brown-Shuler was offered by Texas A&M.
- USC target RB Daylan Smothers was offered by Alabama.
- USC offered DE Derrick Leblanc of Kissimmee, FL. He also has a Clemson offer and has named the Tigers among his top seven along with Ohio State, Miami, Penn State, UCF, Florida and Oklahoma.