Clemson is on the board with offensive linemen for their 2024 class. OG Ronan O’Connell (6-5 275) of Franklin, TN used the Fourth of July to announce his commitment to the Tigers over Tennessee and Wisconsin. He took official visits to all three schools in June.
The home state Vols appeared to have an early edge with O’Connell. He visited Knoxville multiple times on recruiting visits, including right before the start of the dead period.
O’Connell visited Clemson in early April and picked up his offer from the Tigers, and that started the process for Dabo Swiinney and offensive line coach Thomas Austin to catch up to and eventually supplant the Vols as his favorite.
Among his other offers were Penn State, Georgia, Florida, Michigan State, Auburn, Alabama, Colorado, Miami, Duke, Kentucky, Missouri, Wake Forest, West Virginia and Kansas.
O’Connell also is an accomplished heavyweight wrestler and was the runner-up in the Tennessee state championships in March.
O’Connell is the first of a handful of offensive linemen Clemson is still pursuing who will be making announcements this month. Next up is OG William Satterwhite of Akron on Friday.
O’Connell is the 14th commitment for the Tigers’ 2024 class. Seven different states are represented in the class. There are none from South Carolina to this point.
Clemson 2024 Commitments:
- TAVOY FEAGIN CB 6-0 170 TAMPA
- DARIEN MAYO DE 6-7 255 OLNEY, MD
- CHAMP THOMPSON DT 6-3 280 NORCROSS, GA
- HEVIN BROWN-SHULER DT 6-4 290 ATLANTA
- DREW WOODAZ LB 6-3 200 TAMPA
- SAMMY BROWN LB 6-2 220 JEFFERSON GA
- RONAN O’CONNELL OG 6-5 275 FRANKLIN, TN
- NOLAN HAUSER PK 6-0 170 CORNELIUS, NC
- DAVID EZIOMUME RB 6-1 200 SUWANEE, GA
- NOAH DIXON SAF 6-2 175 LAGRANGE, GA
- RICARDO JONES SAF 6-3 200 WARNER ROBINS, GA
- CHRISTIAN BENTANCUR TE 6-5 240 WOODSTOCK, IL
- TJ MOORE WR 6-3 190 TAMPA
- BRYANT WESCO WR 6-2 180 MIDLOTHIAN, TX