Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney and several team members were in Maryland Tuesday for the funeral of Ella Bresee, sister of Clemson defensive tackle Bryan Bresee. As a result, Swinney’s weekly Tuesday press conference was delayed until Wednesday.
The 5th ranked Tigers are headed to #21 Wake Forest Saturday in a battle of 3-0 teams with the winner getting a leg up in the ACC Atlantic Division race. Clemson is a seven-point favorite to defeat the Demon Deacons for a 14th straight time.
Some of Swinney’s key comments Tuesday:
- Huge game for them and a huge game for Wake, both teams want the same thing, Wake is a real good team, he’s close with Dave Clawson, lot of conversations with him over the years, one of the great people in the profession.
- This is a veteran Wake Forest group, rarely does Wake beat themselves, they are really good in the trenches, veterans on the defensive line, rush the passer, physical in the run game, one of the better secondaries.
- Wake Forest is elite at receiver, backs are outstanding, across the board this will be a challenge, but they are excited, first true road game, great crowd and a black out, opportunity to stay in control of their own destiny.
- Hartman holds the ball to the last second, he knows where the manipulation is, in beating Wake they’ve played complimentary football, their defense got them out of rhythm.
- Hartman is a savvy, accurate thrower, they are explosive with their offense, they create and force matchups due to how they play, you have to be multiple on defense, change it up and disguise things.
- Collins leaving because he didn’t like where he was on the depth chart, not much of a story to him, great kid and talented, needs to continue to mature and grow and commit to the task, guys aren’t patient much anymore.
- They are in a good place health wise, likes where they are from that standpoint.
- They (Clemson) have excellent depth at defensive end, and there’s not much drop off there when their sub, same at running back, different guy could have a big game anytime out.
- They (Clemson) have five or six guys at receiver they feel good about, feels good about the receivers group, really pleased with Antonio Williams, proven to be a buy they can count on.
- Pleased with what he’s seen from young DBs who have been forced to play, there are going to be some mistakes and some busts, but they have come on nicely and will continue to get snaps.
- Putnam has been one of the most dedicated and committed players he’s had, he’s the epitome of being all in, you’re going to get everything he’s got all the time. Great leader and teammate.