USC is 2-2 after the first four games of the season, 0-2 in the SEC. The Gamecocks will have to wait a couple of weeks before trying again for that first SEC win, but they can get back above .500 this Saturday at home against Troy of the Sun Belt Conference. The Trojans also are 2-2 with wins over Southern and Southern Miss and losses to Liberty and ULM.
Tuesday, USC coach Shane Beamer met with the media to wrap up his thoughts on the loss to Kentucky and preview the matchup with Troy where the Gamecocks opened as 9 point favorites and are now favored by 7.
Some key comments from Beamer:
- Legette was back at practice today and should play this week, Platel was limited today, and they hope he can play this week, Sandidge continues to improve, and they hope to get him back soon.
- Troy is a really good team, could be 4-0. lost a couple of tough games, has a transfer quarterback with SEC experience, good group of running backs, size at receiver, and their defense is really good, #5 nationally.
- Said it’s not coach-speak when he says the Troy defense plays as hard as any defense he has ever seen. As for his team, had a great practice this morning, lots of energy, not happy with performance last Saturday. They have to get better.
- They are 2-2, sky is not falling, they have lost to a pair of undefeated teams, they just have to continue to get better, liked how they practiced this morning, but it’s all about improvement from day to day.
- Is Doty well enough to play? Yes. He’s tough as “hell”. Is he able to run as fast as he’s capable without a foot issue? No. He’s continuing to get better and get healthy. He’s not far off. They’ll continue to open up things as he gets healthier.
- The run game hasn’t been good enough, they are not hitting their goal of yards per carry, they are not blowing things up, they had some good runs called vs Kentucky but some details with the execution weren’t there.
- Doty has played well the last two games, he’s given them a chance to win in those games, he hasn’t been perfect, made some bad throws, but he’s tough as nails, have to continue to coach him and get him better.
- Pleased with the defense, creating turnovers, did not do a good job stopping the run vs Kentucky, and couldn’t stop the Wildcats on the last two drives when they needed the ball.