Clemson survived a major scare against Georgia Tech last Saturday overcoming their offensive issues to pull out a six-point win. Tigers coach Dabo Swinney warned at his weekly press conference Tuesday his team won’t be as fortunate this Saturday at NC State with a similar offensive performance. The defense, even without tackle Tyler Davis, will still be a force. They’ve not allowed an offensive touchdown this season. But an offense that fumbled four times (losing one) against Tech, and that is ranked 112th nationally after three games, has got to step it up, and Swinney is confident they will.
The Tigers will be going for their ninth straight win over NC State, which is also 2-1 and coming off a win over Furman. Clemson opened as a twelve-point favorite, and the line is down to ten.
Some of Swinney’s key comments:
- State has to be one of the most experienced teams in the country. Incredibly well coached, plays hard, tough and smart.
- NC State quarterback is a baller, really good player, runs around well, he has tall receivers, very good up front, physical run game, OL has like 100 starts between them.
- NC State defense looks like Clemson defense on tape. Physical, runs to the ball well, hasn’t allowed a rushing touchdown in three games, excellent special teams.
- Excited to see how his team plays in a true road game, how they will play in all three phases; DT Tyler Davis had surgery this morning for the torn bicep muscle; Ruke Orhorhoro next man up at that spot.
- On the offensive line, the guys are working as hard as they can, they have some new guys, young players who are inexperience, they were ambushed Saturday by what Georgia Tech did, for young guys who get confused, technique goes out the window.
- Saturday was their worst game defensively, most missed tackles, eyes in the wrong place, effort and physicality were good, poor job of leveraging ball, ball containment was poor, bad penalties that extended drives.
- Shipley is a special running back, great vision, toughness, fights for every inch.
- Still have excellent depth with Dixon leaving, highly recruited guys who are young and talented, also a chance for Dukes to do more.
- “I can assure you we don’t stink. We’re going to be all right. Got to stop turning the ball over.”