USC is planning a big recruiting weekend June 11-13 with several key prospects making official visits. Three will be coming from Lake Gibson High School in Lakeland, FL. SAF Jy’vonte McClendon (6-2 180) confirmed Wednesday night that he and teammates RB Jaylon Glover (5-9 195) and ATH Sam McCall (6-2 180) will take official visits with the Gamecocks that weekend.
McClendon said some of his family members will join him, and it could turn out to be a special weekend for him. He said he’s not talking with any other schools about visits at this point, and he’s thinking he could make a commitment to the Gamecocks while on the visit.
“I like the way they coach and how they feel about their players, and their support group,” McClendon said. Secondary coach Torrian Gray has been his recruiter. “I’ve been talking to him since Florida. He’s from where I’m from. That’s part of the relationship, too. We have a close relationship. He’s the recruiter I’m closest to.”
McClendon has been in regular contact with Gray. In fact, he’s been on the phone with the entire staff including head coach Shane Beamer.
“We’ve just been talking about the school and the team, and where I’m going to play when I go out there,” McClendon said. “I would play free and strong (safety). He (Gray) likes my range and how physical I am, too.”
McClendon has had USC and Miami as his top two. He also has offers from Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Oklahoma, Cincinnati and Georgia Tech.
As for his two teammates joining him on the visit, McClendon won’t discount the possibility of all three of them becoming Gamecocks.
“Hopefully. It’s been on our minds,” he said.
Last season McClendon was credited with 37 tackles according to MaxPreps stats. He also had 2 interceptions, one returned for a touchdown, knocked down 4 passes and blocked a punt. He has 94 career tackles and 5 interceptions. He’s rated a three-star in the 247Sports Composite and ranked 33rd nationally among safeties.
- USC target DT Nick James has set an official visit to LSU for June 18.
- USC target WR Jayden Gibson of Winter Garden, FL was offered by Auburn.
- USC target OT Ryan Brubaker of Stevens, PA took a virtual visit with Stanford Wednesday night.
- Clemson offered SAF Marquis Lymon (5-9 205) of Delray Beach, FL. He also has offers from Georgia State, Utah State, USF, Tennessee, Kentucky, NC State, Miami, Toledo, Indiana, Pitt and Syracuse. He had 5 interceptions last season. He’s rated a three-star in the 247Sports Composite and ranked #48 nationally among safeties.
- Clemson is in the top 12 with DT Caden Curry (6-5 250) of Greenwood, IN. The others on the list are Ohio State, Alabama, Arizona State, Indiana, Tennessee, Michigan, Southern Cal, Florida State, Oregon and Notre Dame.
- DE Enai White of Philadelphia announced official visits in June for Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State. He also announced Clemson, Oregon, Penn State and Texas A&M will get unofficial visits.
- Clemson target SAF Xavier Nwankpa of Altoona, IA set his third official visit with Texas A&M June 11th. He’s also set with Ohio State and Notre Dame.
- USC offered 2023 ATH Nyckoles Harbor (6-4 220) of Washington, DC. He’s rated a four-star in the 247Sports Composite and the #10 ATH nationally in his class.
- USC offered teammates 2024 RB Anthony Carrie (6-0 185) and 2024 WR Bredell Richardson (6-1 180) of Tampa.
- Former College of Charleston star 6-1 Zep Jasper is transferring to Auburn.
- 2023 DE Monteque Rhames II of Sumter was offered by Michigan State.
- 6-7 Terrell Ard Jr. is transferring to Presbyterian after one season at UAB.
- Upstate signed 6-4 Jordan Gainey of Tuscon. He attends South Kent Prep in Connecticut.