Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables and defensive tackles coach Todd Bates are looking for the next Christian Wilkins-Dexter Lawrence-Bryan Bresee type of talent to fill the middle of their line in future seasons. One prospect they like for that is DT Alex VanSumeren (6-3 300) of Essexville, MI. Tuesday VanSumeren, a former Michigan commitment, announced his top ten, and Clemson was on the list.
“They’ve got a great program, a great coaching staff,” VanSumeren said. “They’ve offered about 50 guys in the country. It’s a great opportunity. The way they develop their players, they seem like really good people. They talk about their faith in Christ Our Lord and everything. They just seem like they’ve got a good thing going on there.”
VanSumeren is working on a June unofficial visit date with Clemson. He’s not sure if that will be for the Elite Retreat Weekend June 11th or another weekend. In the meantime, he’s had numerous Zoom sessions with the coaches and has taken multiple virtual visits.
“Main thing is just talking to the coaches and getting to know them,” VanSumeren said. “Coach Venables, talk to him a lot. Coach Bates. Mainly I’ve just been building a relationship with them. When they offered me, they said they needed a twitchy, strong, quick D-linemen on the interior. They said I reminded them of Christian Wilkins and Bryan Bresee, kind of a mixture of them.”
The rest of his top ten are Auburn, Penn State, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Arizona, Michigan State, Alabama, Indiana and Oregon. VanSumeren’s brother recently transferred to Michigan State from Michigan.
His plan now is to line up official visits with five of the schools in the next week, and he also plans to visit the other five schools unofficially. He’d like to make his decision in August before the start of his senior season.
According to MaxPreps stats, in his three seasons of high school football, VanSumeren has compiled 237 tackles and 26 sacks in 28 games. He’s rated a four-star in the 247Sports Composite and is ranked the #16 defensive tackle nationally and the #4 prospect in Michigan.
- Clemson target CB Ryan Turner plans to visit Miami June 1st.
- In an update on top prospects at IMG Academy, 247Sports reported SAF Keon Sabb, CB Daylen Everette and DE Jihaad Campbell are setting official visits, and Clemson will be in their plans. Campbell has an unofficial visit with the Tigers set for June 8th.
- USC target OT Leyton Nelson of Orlando sets an official visit to Louisville for June 25th.
- 6-6 Julian Phillips of Blythewood was offered by Indiana and Southern Cal.
- Former Clemson guard John Newman, who had previously announced a transfer to UNC-Greensboro, is going to follow former UNCG coach Wes Miller to Cincinnati.
- 6-3 Corey Tripp of Medina, OH committed to Wofford.