Clemson coach Dabo Swinney Sunday put the wraps on his team’s victory over Virginia Saturday night in Death Valley. Swinney said his team came out of the game in excellent health, and he felt the performance was an overall good one. He added there are a few areas that need cleaning up on the defensive side, such as some tackling fundamentals and angles to the ball.
Some of Swinney’s key comments:
- A lot of positives but a lot to improve on this week with Miami coming in. Good place health wise. Only player in question is Jefferies who had to leave the game. Expecting Tyler Davis back for Miami. He was ready to play last night.
- Some things to correct on defense with some tackling and angles to the ball. First time they’ve had a fourth quarter game this season. Fundamental stuff and technique things they need to improve.
- Has only looked at Miami on TV and they are just starting to break down the tape for a closer look. Fast, physical and confident team based on what he’s seen.
- No update on Xavier Thomas and Justin Foster on their avail for this week, Foster missed time last week due to a death in the family, worked with scout team last week, hope to have in back in practice this week.
- Ross is making progress, goes back to Pittsburgh in December and that will be a big session for him with the doctors, he’s back lifting.
- Goodrich did a good job in his first game last night, corner is a position of strength at this point.
- Kendrick is at another level from where he was last season.
- His first team offensive line is playing as well as any group he’s ever had, thought they had a really good performance last night, each one graded a winner.
- They’ve played some dynamic quarterbacks and King is as dyanmic as any one they’ve seen. Great matchup of quarterbacks.
Here’s a portion of Swinney’s conference call (some was missed as we tried to figure out recording process on Zoom)