The second major scrimmage of camp for USC Saturday night was an improved on the first coach Will Muschamp said Sunday night. Meeting with the media via Zoom, Muschamp said the effort and energy of his players in the 160 play scrimmage, including special teams plays, was outstanding. And there were no significant injuries to report.
Some of Muschamp’s key comments:
- Team needs to get mentally tougher. Took care of ball, ball on ground only once in 160 total snaps. Hit some plays on offense. Better in red zone, too many negative plays first and ten.
- Saw a lot of improvement from scrimmage one to two. Defense, no turnovers stands out to him. One fumble, two tipped balls, didn’t get any. Only 8 missed tackles; gave up too many explosive plays.
- Mitch Jeter is the kickoff guy right now; Parker White has had an outstanding camp.
- Collin Hill was player of the day Saturday. Ryan Hilinski was the previous week. No decision on starting QB, let it go this week and make a decision the next week.
- Feels Harris and Fenwick are much better than a year ago, Harris in particular is in much better shape.
- Freshman Eric Shaw played 18 snaps at TE Saturday and made two good catches.
- Zaquandre White will be back at practice Tuesday. Has a tweaked hamstring. Jahmar Brown has an ankle, expects him back the week of Tennessee game.
- They’ve done more good on good tackling in camp, and that’s helped with reducing the number of broken tackles.
- Quarterbacks got hit a couple of times Saturday, that’s a concerned, expects LB Ernest Jones back on the 10th. Thought they improved run defense Saturday compared to first scrimmage.
- Waiver for WR Jalen Brooks has been submitted, they’ve not heard back.
- Jordan Rhodes will practice Tuesday for about half a practice, and will do that for a week, he’s got experience, he’s started before. He’s in every meeting. Expects him to compete to play.
- Hesitant to name starting tackles, Wonnum has played both, Turnentine at left, Moore, Nichols and Lee also in the rotation.
- Feels good about the receiver position coming out of Saturday’s scrimmage.
- Saturday night was big for Cam Smith and John Dixon in the secondary. They did some things well. Horn and Mukuamu continued to play well. Robinson as well. Sanders had one of his best practices. Dickerson dealing with hamstring, back Tuesday. Fortune has played DB & SAF.
- Shi Smith had a couple of nice catches down the field, Xavier Legette had a nice catch across the middle for TD, Brooks has made plays, Powers looked good, Caldwell has improved and had a good night. Joyner continues to come on. Doty had a 20 yard screen.
- Testing the entire building every Monday. Go to three times a week starting week of Tennessee game.