The ACC Board of Directors announced Wednesday it plans to move forward with fall sports with games beginning the week of September 7th, if health conditions are such that competition can begin. Regarding football, the league said all teams will play 10 league games and one non-league game that has to be played in the home state of the ACC team. And as far as Notre Dame is concerned, the league announced the Irish will be treated like a league member and will play 10 league games and can compete for the ACC Championship and all that comes with that.
All TV revenue for the 2020 seasons, including what Notre Dame makes from NBC, will be shared equally among the 15 teams. And the ACC Championship Game will be played in Charlotte on either December 12th or 19th.
The league identified home and away games for each team with no dates, but the games are to be played between September 7th and December 5th. Clemson will play home games against Boston College, Miami, Pitt, Syracuse and Virginia. The Tigers will have road games against Florida State, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest. And they will have their home game against USC.
Clemson originally was scheduled to open its season September 3rd at Georgia Tech. Their home games were to be Louisville, Akron, Virginia, NC State, Syracuse, The Citadel and USC, and their other road game were to be at Boston College, Florida State, Notre Dame and Wake Forest.
Here’s the complete, newly planned ACC home and away game pairings
This is what the ACC has outlined for its sports seasons:
- The season’s first games will take place the week of Sept. 7-12
- The 2020 scheduling model includes 11 games (10 plus one: 10 conference and one non-conference)
- All non-conference game opponents, selected by the respective school, must be played in the home state of the ACC institution, and all non-conference opponents must meet the medical protocol requirements as agreed upon by the ACC
- The 11 games will be played over at least 13 weeks with each team having two open dates
- There will be one division
- Notre Dame will also play a 10-game conference schedule and be eligible to compete in the 2020 ACC Football Championship Game
- All television revenue for the 2020 season, including Notre Dame’s home games broadcast by NBC, will be shared equally by all 15 institutions
- The ACC Football Championship Game will be played on either December 12 or 19 at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina, and will feature the top two teams based upon highest conference-game winning percentage
- All 15 teams will continue to be part of the ACC’s bowl selection process; should Notre Dame win the ACC Football Championship Game they would be eligible for the Orange Bowl, if not selected as a College Football Playoff semifinal team
- The 2020 ACC Football week-by-week schedule and television selections will be released in the future
ACC Fall Olympic Sports:
- Fall Olympic Sports competition may begin on Thursday, Sept. 10
- Team sports will play a conference schedule that meets the NCAA minimum amount of games: field hockey (6), women’s soccer (6), men’s soccer (6) and volleyball (10)
- Schools will continue to schedule regular season cross country competitions at their discretion
- Any additional games against conference opponents or non-conference opponents are at the respective school’s discretion and all opponents must meet the ACC’s medical standards
- Any additional games against conference opponents that are beyond the conference-mandated schedules would not count in the ACC standings
- The schedule for ACC Fall Championships
- The cross country championships will be held at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, N.C. on October 30, and include all fifteen member schools
- The field hockey championship will be held at Duke University on November 5, 6 and 8
- The women’s soccer championship will include the top four teams and be held at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, N.C. on November 6 and 8, as previously announced
- The men’s soccer championship will include the top four teams and be held at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, N.C. on November 13 and 15
- Television selections via the ACC’s partnership with ESPN and ACC Network will be made in the future
ACC Winter and Spring Olympic Sports:
- Competition in the sports of swimming and diving, indoor track and field and fencing will be postponed until at least September 10
- Fall competition in the sports of men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s tennis, rowing, men’s and women’s lacrosse, softball and baseball has been canceled
- Student-athletes in golf and tennis continue to be eligible to compete unattached
- Teams in all sports may continue practice at their institution’s discretion