Mission accomplished for Dabo Swinney and Clemson last week. Regardless of how you feel about the diatribe following the “Tyler from Spartanburg” phone call, something definitely lit a fire under the Tigers last week and they responded with arguably their best performance of the season in the upset of Notre Dame.
Swinney’s focus at his Tuesday press conference leading into this Saturday’s game with Georgia Tech was windshield and not rear-view mirror. He wants his players looking ahead to what is still out there for them to accomplish and not dwell on that win over the Irish.
Swinney also said running back Will Shipley is trending toward being able to play this Saturday after taking a hard hit to the head and neck last weekend. He also reminded Clemson fans not to forget what Shipley has done for the program.
Some key comments from Swinney:
- Georgia Tech is playing good football, scoring a bunch of points, creative, getting ball to playmakers, everything starts with the QB, averaging over 7 yards per carry, QB run game a problem, very similar to Duke.
- Georgia Tech defense is playing hard, changed coordinators and the new guy played for him at Alabama; they’ve blocked three kicks on special teams and has been good in punt returns; they are playing well as a team with a lot of heart and belief.
- Shipley was able to practice in green yesterday and is trending towards being able to play, head is good, just watching his neck area; Phillips is out, Jones is out, Mickens should be back.
- Mascoll is making progress and trending to return this week, Sadler was back yesterday, Venables is back practicing with the scout team and should be able to help them down the stretch, expecting Tate back for bowl game.
- Don’t get amnesia, some people get amnesia quick around Clemson, Shipley is the reason why they’ve won a lot of games so don’t forget what he brings to the offense.
- His guys have been physical every game, have competed every week, been in position to win every week, they’ve played hard and physical. Ball security has been a problem.
- Mentality of his players has to be the next game is the biggest game of the year, if you don’t believe that, just lose the game and you’ll find out quickly. that mindset leads to consistency in preparation and that leads to consistency in performance.