Shane Beamer and select Gamecocks players addressed the media, Tuesday, ahead of this weekend’s home game against Texas A&M. The biggest news coming out of the presser was the confirmation from Beamer that safety RJ Roderick is no longer with the team. Roderick (Cane Bay HS) started 33 games for USC but has battled injuries throughout 2022.
Otherwise, South Carolina and A&M should both be well rested and relatively healthy coming off open dates. Beamer and his staff have found success with extra practice time, going 5-0 with more than a week to prepare since taking the helm at USC. But the Gamecocks have a poor record of performance against the Aggies, losing all eight of their matchups, including last year’s 44-14 loss at College Station, Tex. Texas A&M (3-3, 1-2) enters the game off consecutive conference losses to Mississippi State and Alabama, respectively. If the Aggies fall in Columbia, they will find themselves below .500 for the first time since dropping the 2012 season opener to Florida. South Carolina (4-2, 1-2), meanwhile, is seeking its first four-game winning streak since 2013 when Bruce Ellington was catching passes from Connor Shaw.
Aggies head coach Jimbo Fisher said Monday that quarterback Haynes King, who suffered a foot injury against Alabama, is available to play against USC. Kickoff between the Gamecocks and the Aggies from Williams-Brice Stadium is set for 7:30 p.m., Saturday.
Key comments from Shane Beamer
- On play selection: I want to be able to run it when we have to run it, but I also want to be able to throw it. As you run the ball, it opens up more things in the passing game. I’ve seen signs of being able to do both.
- One of the reasons they’ve been so good on special teams is the player buy-in. Notes that Pete Lembo keeps it fun with the weekly themes for punt block. “From the movie Airplane to characters from the Sopranos.”
- On Dakereon Joyner: He’s nobody we’re concerned about injury-wise. He’s doing a great job for us on special teams. We’ve been in a lot of two tight end sets, so that means one less receiver is on the field. Plus, we didn’t run a lot of snaps against Kentucky.
- On MarShawn Lloyd: Turned into a complete back. Happy for MarShawn because football is very important to him. He’s very passionate about it and it shows on the field.
- Beamer wouldn’t elaborate on the reason safety RJ Roderick is no longer with the team. Notes that he had a sit down with Roderick and his mom on Sunday and had good conversations with them.
- Beamer brags on the job Mitch Jeter has done in the kicking game: He’s a weapon for us.
- Injury report: WR Corey Rucker won’t play this week. Other than that, they are pretty healthy.
- Says Texas A&M RB Devon Achane is really, really talented and they do so much with him out of the backfield.