Clemson is coming off a road win over a ranked Wake Forest team to face 10th ranked NC State Saturday night in Death Valley. This will be the 27th top-ten match up in Clemson history. The Tigers are 14-12 in those games. For State, this will mark the first time they have played a top ten ranked team as a top ten ranked team.
The Tigers will come into the game on a 10-game winning streak, and they’ve won 36 straight at home. They have scored 175 points thus far, matching the second most points scored in program history through the first four games.
Quarterback DJ Uiagalelei has emerged as a major weapon after struggling through the 2021 season. He’s up to 40th nationally in passing efficiency with a rating of 155.6.
NC State will come to Clemson undefeated and with a talented quarterback of their own in Devin Leary. He’s 64th nationally in pass efficiency. State also fields a strong defensive unit which is 13th nationally in total defense and 8th in scoring defense.
Some of Swinney’s key comments Tuesday
- NC State is a veteran team, lots of leadership, well coached, LB Payton Wilson is one of the best players in the country, offense is complete, very good line, QB is a pro, really understands the game, two hard running backs, excellent receivers.
- State is physical in the run game, lot of counter and lot of stretch, and they will take their deep shots down the field; defense is excellent with a scheme they understand well, very physical with outstanding linebackers.
- State plays a lot of zone coverage but they will pressure you, offense has to be on the same page to pick up the pressure.
- Uiagalelei is in a very good spot from a confidence standpoint, accuracy is much better as a result, and he has better players around him, he’s working hard to build on what he’s done and maintain that confidence.
- Doesn’t know anything regarding the injured players who missed last week, he’s hopeful all will be back.
- Issues in secondary last week due to basic fundamental breakdowns, they’re good players and they have to coach them better and a better job of teaching them on tracking the ball and playing the ball.
- Very pleased with his three starting linebackers, they are playing well, Tyler Davis was excellent vs Wake Forest, he was the MVP, expecting to get Xavier Thomas and Tre William back this weekend, pleased with the depth on the defensive line.
- Barrett Carter has been one of their best players, very consistent, pays attention to detail, been a bright spot on the team.
- Why they went 16-23 on third down at Wake Forest…better up front, better quarterback play, and just making plays. They are just a better group overall compared to a year ago.
- All the things they weren’t good at last year they are better at this year on offense…scoring, scoring in the red zone, etc.