After losing their first two SEC games the last two weekends, USC steps out of the league for the next two weekends as part of their three game homestand. The Charlotte 49ers of Conference USA will visit Columbia Saturday night in the first meeting between the two programs that sit 107 miles apart. The 49ers are coming off a win over Georgia State and are 1-3. The Gamecocks are 1-2 with their win coming over Georgia State. The Gamecocks are favored by 22 points.
Some key comments from Shane Beamer on Tuesday:
- Rucker practiced today, everyone who didn’t play last week or who got hurt during the game are all questionable, some practiced today limited, some didn’t practice, hopes to have them all back.
- This Charlotte team played at Georgia State like they want to play, four-year starter at QB, talented receivers at receiver, they have weapons on the outside, scored more points on Georgia State than they did and North Carolina did.
- Thought the offensive line played well against Georgia despite having to shuffle some guys in and out. They popped some runs and were a shoestring tackle away from other big runs, didn’t allow a sack, Rattler needs to step up in pocket more.
- They’ve got guys open on offense and they are close to popping runs, no moral victories, feels like they’ve made improvement and just need to make the plays.
- There’s opportunities out there on offense to be made. You just have to back to the practice field and work on things, and he sees that from his guys, they are practicing well.
- He has communicated with the administration about how to avoid the delay of the game they had between 1st and 2nd quarter Saturday, said they are making sure that doesn’t happen again.
- Officials instructed him before the game to have players on the field and ready to go coming out of timeouts to speed up the game, they blew the whistle for the teams to come out and he didn’t think it smart to call them back to sideline and risk a penalty.