Game week for USC is here and Shane Beamer is ready to roll out his second edition of the Gamecocks. USC will face Georgia State at Williams-Brice Stadium Saturday night at 7:30. The Gamecocks are 13.5-point favorites in the first ever meeting between the programs.
Former USC offensive line coach and interim head coach Shawn Elliott and is 30-30 in five seasons with the Panthers. His best season thus far was last season when the Panthers went 8-5 with a bowl win over Ball State. Elliott is a Camden native and has a team with 20 Palmetto State natives including quarterback Darren Grainger of Conway who transferring in from Furman.
Some key notes from Shane Beamer:
- Really good practice this morning, Kroeger, Beal-Smith both practiced today, available for Saturday, Rucker still has a ways to go to be ready. Otherwise good on injuries.
- Depth chart released Monday may not be how they open Saturday, they have a lot of flexibility and depth at a lot of positions.
- “No disrespect to Eastern Illinois (last year’s opener), this ain’t Eastern Illinois,” talking about Georgia State and how good they are and capable of beating SEC teams.
- Georgia State was 8th nationally in rushing last season, so his defense will be tested right out of the gate.
- Feels like he has a better handle on things because it’s his second year, but he still has the same anxiety about the opener he had last year.
- Georgia State plays very hard, flies around on defense, disruptive and physical, lots of tackles for loss, turnovers, sacks.