South Carolina football recorded its 100th SEC win last Saturday with a 21-20 victory against Vanderbilt. This week, the Gamecocks will try and notch another milestone, their first victory against Texas A&M.
The Aggies are a perfect 7-0 against USC, including a 3-0 mark in College Station. That said, three of the seven matchups have been decided by a touchdown or less, though the last two meetings have been blowouts (30-6 & 48-3) in favor of TAMU. The Aggies are 5-2 overall and 2-2 in SEC play, after wins over Alabama and Missouri the past two weeks. Kickoff on Saturday is set for 7:30pm at Kyle Field on the SEC Network.
On Tuesday, head coach Shane Beamer held his weekly press conference inside the USC football operations building. Beamer reiterated his comments from Sunday night that Zeb Noland will start at quarterback for the Gamecocks. Adding that Luke Doty has reinjured his foot and will have surgery this week. Doty is done for the season, according to Beamer.
Key Comments from Shane Beamer …
- Jason Brown is the back up quarterback now with Colton Gauthier as the number three. Gauthier has been doing a great job with the scout team.
- Feels they did not put Doty back into the lineup too soon against UGA. “If the doctors hadn’t cleared him, he wouldn’t have been in uniform.”
- Notes how “dominant” A&M can be on defense and how “explosive” they are in special teams. Really impressed with their run game.
- With regards to the offense, “forget about schemes, we’ve got to be better in fundamentals.”
- Beamer is not a fan of Noland’s moustache, though, “whatever allows him to play well, I’m not going to tell him to shave it.”