USC head coach Shane Beamer and offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Marcus Satterfield have a few quarterback offers out in the 2022 class, and one they seem to like a lot is four-star Tanner Bailey (6-1 195) of Gordo, AL. He’s ranked the #9 pro-style quarterback in the class in the 247Sports Composite. Some of his other offers are Alabama, Auburn, Vanderbilt, Duke, Florida State, Georgia, Mississippi State, Oregon, Miami, Georgia Tech and Maryland.
“He’s wide open,” said Gordo High coach Ryan Lolley. “He wants to see where he fits best, where he plugs in. He’s going to have a lot of great guidance from his parents. His position coach played in college and was a GA at Troy, so he’s got a firm grasp on what it’s like at that level. His dad played in college (Auburn). He’ll get really good guidance as far as what he needs to do and ultimately what he wants to be. It’s not necessarily who it is but what’s the best fit, what’s going to give you the opportunity to play at a high level in a style you want to play in.”
Lolley raved about Bailey as a quarterback, a leader and a person. He believes wherever he lands, he will be a success. And like many of the programs Bailey is considering, he feels USC would be a good fit for him.
“Obviously, they are very high on him,” Lolley said. “South Carolina is a great place. They’ve got a lot of tradition and history, and the people love it there. It’s a great school. I don’t think anybody goes wrong with that choice for sure. I think anybody would be crazy to say South Carolina isn’t a place you want to go. To me, that’s one of the top places to go. They’ve going to have the opportunity to compete for the (SEC) East, and you know if you compete for the East, that’s ultimately going to get you around that College Football Playoff. I think they are one of the top teams in the East. I think it’s a dang good place to go and play. It’s on a big stage where the fans love it. Ultimately, it’s going to come down to what’s the best fit for him.”
Oregon also is a major factor and Bailey tweeted this week he was on a visit to Eugene, something he can do on his own without meeting with the coaches or going inside the facilities. Though Alabama has offered, the Crimson Tide just got a commitment from five-star Ty Simpson, so Tuscaloosa probably is not an option. Same with Georgia which also has a five-star commitment in Gunner Stockton. So, the list gradually will narrow, and Lolley doesn’t see Bailey dragging out the recruiting process.
“I think once he figures out what he’s going to do, I think he’ll do it sooner than later,” Lolley said. “I don’t think he’s going to do something haphazardly and then you end up in a mess and a bind. I think they’ll make the decision sooner than later.”
Last season Bailey passed for 2444 yards and 32 touchdowns despite playing in only six games due to a collarbone injury. He’s also a highly regarded baseball player.
Some other notes:
- USC in top 10 with RB Jamie Felix of Kingsland, GA. The others are Miami, Penn State, Florida, Oregon, Auburn, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, Florida State and Ole Miss.
- USC and Clemson make top 12 with CB Alfonzo Allen of Hallandale, FL. The others are Southern Cal, Central Florida, Arizona State, South Florida, UAB, Florida State, Texas A&M, LSU, Alabama and Miami.
- USC offered 4-star DE Caden Story (6-4 235) of Lanett, AL. He’s ranked 9th nationally among strongside defensive ends in the 247Sports Composite.
- USC offered 2023 CB Antonio Robinson (5-10 160) of Miami. He’s rated a 4-star by 247Sports and ranked 9th nationally among corners.
- USC offered 2025 CB Kevyn Humes (5-10 150) of Baltimore.
- 2023 Camden DT Xzavier McLeod was offered by Florida State.