The USC football team returns to the practice fields Wednesday morning for the first of their 14 spring drills. Their spring game will be April 4th. The Gamecocks are coming off a 4-8 season and have just 11 seniors, but Muschamp said at a Tuesday morning press conference he likes the overall talent on the team and the makeup of his partially reconstructed staff.
Some key comments from Muschamp
- Pleased with off season, made a lot progress, pleased with work with Paul Jackson, only has 11 seniors, mid year guys have blended in well. Some of those guys will contribute.
- Five critical areas to improve…turnover margin, only created 17 turnovers; explosive play ratio; field position battle; battle in the red zone; winning the fourth quarter.
- Pleased with the staff, always looks at the staff in a way to grow and get better. Very pleased with Bobo as new OC. Not sure yet what they will be on offense, will be identifying that in the spring as Bobo works with personnel.
- Pointed out Gamecocks averaged over 30 points and 418 yards per game and 150 rushing yards per game, and that was with McClendon at WR coach and Bentley at RB coach. Glad to have Rocker on staff, tried to hired him in the past.
- Muschamp said he is working with new assistant Rod Wilson at linebackers right now but Wilson will take that over after spring. Wilson also will work with special teams.
- Out for spring, Davis has a rod in his leg, Hill, Kaba, Eason-Riddle, Muse all rehabbing knees, Wonnum and Enigbare are dealing with hips, Johnson is coming off a knee. All expected to be fine.
- Jay Urich has moved back full time to quarterback.
- Burch will start out at the Buck position when he arrives this summer, he’ll have opportunity to compete right away for the job.
Will Muschamp press conference