USC’s two game SEC winning streak was lost in a barrage of second half shooting by 16th ranked Auburn. The Tigers caught fire with 15 minutes to play and pulled away to an 80-67 win Wednesday night at the Auburn Arena. The Gamecocks drop to 10-8 overall and 2-3 in SEC play.
Keys to USC’s loss to Auburn
- The Gamecocks trailed 48-47 with 14:45 to play, but a 24-6 run over the next six minutes put the game away for the Tigers. The Gamecocks went 3-12 from the floor during that stretch.
- Auburn hit 10 three-point field goals to USC’s 6, and outscored the Gamecocks from the foul line 18-3. The Gamecocks were 0-4 from the line in the second half.
- Freshman Devan Cambridge, who was averaging 3 points per game, came off the bench and blistered the Gamecocks with 10-14 shooting including 6 three-pointers for a career high 26 points.
- Jermaine Couisnard continued his strong play for the Gamecocks leading them with 16 points. Justin Minaya had 14 points and AJ Lawson added 11.
- Each team had 12 turnovers but Auburn converted the Gamecock miscues to 16 points compared to 9 by USC.
- The Gamecocks played without Keyshawn Bryant and Trae Hannibal, both out with injuries.
- USC returns home Saturday night to face Vanderbilt at 8:00 PM. The Commodores are winless in SEC play thus far.
- Final Stats
Frank Martin postgame
- #STRecruiting Weekend Notebook (Saturday Update) May 31, 2020
- #STRecruiting Notebook 5-29 May 29, 2020
- #STRecruiting: #Gamecocks move quickly on Louisiana RB May 29, 2020
- #STRecruiting: #Gamecocks Cox has quickly built relationship with top receiver target May 28, 2020
- #STRecruiting: #Clemson has impressed talented shooting guard May 28, 2020