The Clemson football staff took full advantage of the first day for rising juniors to pick up an offer as the Tigers targeted some of the best players from around the country. On Tuesday, defensive coordinator Brent Venables extended an offer to one of the top linebackers in the country.
Raylen Wilson (6-2 201) from Tallahassee (FL) was selected by the Tigers DC, putting Clemson on a list with over 20 other schools who have offered the elite linebacker. The 4-star prospect is currently listed as the No. 111 player in the nation and the No. 10 linebacker in the 2023 class.
“They don’t just offer just because other schools offer,” Wilson said in discussing Clemson’s attention. “He (Venables) said that not many get the opportunity to play at Clemson. He’s really blunt and I like that.”
Venables likes Wilson’s aggressiveness, and the Clemson staff has expressed that they believe he has what it takes to be a big-time linebacker.
“Speed and athletic ability,” Wilson said of his strengths on the field. “I’m a traditional linebacker. (Venables) says I have an ‘it’ factor. Some people have it, and some don’t.”
Wilson is currently scheduled to visit Penn State and Southern Cal. He says that Penn State and Florida State have built good relationships with him so far. He was offered Tuesday by NC State.
With regards to the Tigers and what Wilson is looking for in a school?
“I like how they develop great players on and off the field,” he said of Clemson. “I’m looking for a second home where I can be developed as a player and as a young man.”
Wilson has accepted an invitation to play in the 2023 Under Armour All-American Game. He is also a stand-out on the track, posting an 11.19 100-meter dash in March.
When asked what a program will be getting from him when he makes his college choice, Wilson boasts that he’ll be a great teammate.
“A leader on and off the field.”
- Clemson offered 2023 ATH Joenel Aguero (6-0 195) of IMG Academy. He’s rated a four-star in the 247Sports Composite and ranked the #5 ATH nationally in his class.
- Clemson target SAF Keon Sabb of IMG Academy has set some more visits. He is going to Penn State this weekend, Clemson next weekend. Georgia June 18th and Texas A&M June 24th. He plans to visit Oregon and LSU in the fall according to Hayes Fawcett.
- USC target WR CJ Smith of Orlando took a visit to Florida this week.
- Hammond RB CJ Stokes will visit Clemson June 9th, and USC on a date to be determined.
- 2023 WR Devin Hyatt of Dutch Fork was at Georgia Tuesday.
- DE Chase Tillman of North Augusta committed to Appalachian State.