Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney met with the media via Zoom a day removed from the Tigers’ season-opening win at Wake Forest. In a 37-13 victory, there’s often plenty of credit to go around. Swinney, of course, spotlighted the contributions of quarterback Trevor Lawrence (22-28, 351 yards, 1 TD) and running back Travis Etienne (17 carries, 102 yards, 1 TD), but also sang the praises of the offensive line responsible for clearing the path for the two Heisman Trophy contenders, “Super proud of that first unit. Our protection was excellent. That group is going to be really, really good.”
That accounts for the veterans, but there were also contributions from the top-ranked freshman class. Swinney singled out Myles Murphy (2 sacks) and Bryan Bresee (0.5 sack, blocked field goal), “Freshmen on paper only …. Incredibly coachable. That’s not the norm. I was really proud of those guys.”
All things considered, the night couldn’t have gone much better for Clemson. Swinney referred to the win after an uncertain offseason as “just what the doctor ordered.” The Tigers have now won 23 straight against ACC competition and 13 consecutive road games, the longest such streak in the country.
Clemson will now prepare for its home opener against The Citadel scheduled for Saturday at 4 p.m.
Additional comments from Dabo Swinney Zoom press conference
- Running back Lyn-J Dixon was available but held out for precautionary purposes as he continues to recover from a sprained knee
- Defensive linemen Ruke Orhorhoro and Tyler Davis are undergoing MRI’s
- Good rhythm and tempo for the offense. Ran 82 plays and 19 different players touched the ball
- Pleased with the defense producing six sacks and 11 tackles for loss.
- The defense dominated the line of scrimmage in limiting Wake Forest to 1.1 yards/rush
- On message sticker on back of helmets: I support my guys. There are a lot of things going in our world. Not everybody is going to think the same but these are young people challenged with a lot of things …. I support them with all they’re dealing with and trying to navigate through