USC held a 140 play game style scrimmage Saturday afternoon at Williams-Brice Stadium. Part of the drama for the day going in was would a starting quarterback emerge. Gamecocks coach Will Muschamp said Sunday night in Zoom session with the media one has not. Muschamp said the plan is to talk with offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Mike Bobo about it more tonight during film review and to let the competition continue to play out in practice Tuesday. The Gamecocks won’t start full focus on Tennessee until Thursday.
Some other key notes from Muschamp:
- Thought communicated better and executed better on offense, used crowd noise.
- The offense scored touchdowns in first part of scrimmage. Offense came out with a lot of energy and juice, defense did not. Defense started poorly but got better. Ernest Jones worked about 30 snaps.
- Jammie Robinson handled all punt returns and will continue to battle Jaycee Horn for that. Did not punt well. White kicked well again.
- No injuries in the scrimmage, getting Spencer Eason-Riddle back from his knee injury Tuesday.
- They have 2 live Covid tests and 9 in quarantine, and getting 4 or 5 back Monday.
- Thought Zaquandre White looked good in the scrimmage, he’s going to help them, Kevin Harris was at his sister’s wedding, thought Fenwick did some good things.
- Still need to find another offensive tackle. Wonnum worked primarily at left. Feels good about the three inside guys. Rhodes did some nice things but needs to get in shape. Look at him at right tackle. Vershon Lee did a nice job.
- Making sure top two quarterbacks are not around each other, none of the QBs live together. The team is in that two week window where you have to quarantine for contact tracing.
- Joyner probably had his best day as a wide receiver in the scrimmage, real proud of him.
- Luke Doty also had a good scrimmage at receiver and they got him a lot of work Saturday.
- Said he does not expect any suspensions stemming from the fracas inside the players’ dorm in late August.
- Shi Smith was their player of the day in Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s practices, just needs to be more consistent.
- Very impressed with Mo Kaba and he’s going to help this season, especially on special teams.
- Shilo Sanders has done some really good things and has had a good camp, Cam Smith the same, John Dixon has flashed, getting Jaylin Dickerson back from a hamstring early next week.
- Lloyd had his surgery last Wednesday, it went well, he’s been very positive and looks great.
Will Muschamp Sunday night Zoom session