Top ranked Clemson was thought to have passed its toughest test of the regular season win last Saturday’s win over 11th ranked Texas A&M. Tiger coach Dabo Swinney would beg to differ. The Tigers play at Syracuse this Saturday night, the same Syracuse that lost to Maryland last weekend by 43 points. Clemson is a 24 point favorite. But Swinney Tuesday reminded all that the Tigers lost on their last trip to Syracuse, and last season they were pushed to the brink at home by the Orange before escaping with a 27-23 victory. Saturday night’s game is set for a 7:30 kickoff on ABC.
Key comments from Swinney’s press conference:
- He’s been real happy with the play of his back seven on defense. And he thought they would be good there going into the season.
- They’ve been working 11 along the offensive line, real played with how Bockhorst has come in and played along with Cervenka at RG.
- He won’t have to worry about getting his team ready for Syracuse despite the Orange big loss at Maryland. Said that game just got away from them with a couple of turnovers. Last trip to Syracuse enough to remind his guys.
- Said last season vs Syracuse, turnovers hurt, losing Lawrence and having to go to 3rd team QB hurt, said first thing they have to do is not beat themselves. Went up there two years ago and couldn’t cover them.
- They respect the Orange, lost up there last time, Syracuse has some excellent defensive personnel, will be a tough matchup.
Dabo Swinney opening comments on Syracuse
Swinney says Syracuse loss to Maryland last week doesn’t affect their approach
Swinney on playing in the Carrier Dome
Swinney on his players’ approach to “leaving no doubt” against teams that played them close the previous season