It’s Georgia Tech week for Clemson which for the defense is the equivalent of getting that rotten tooth pulled without the Novocaine. It’s that big of a pain to prepare for and defend though last year Brent Venables drew up a perfect plan and the Tigers held the Yellow Jackets to only 95 rushing yards and 124 total yards. Tech is back to doing triple-option Tech things again this season leading the ACC in rushing at 372 yards per game while having attempted just 53 passes.
Clemson coach Dabo Swinney expressed a great deal of concern about Saturday’s 8:00 PM matchup in Death Valley during his Tuesday morning press conference. But he also said the focus of the off week was more about his team and fixing the things that contributed to the loss to Syracuse last time out.
Some key Swinney comments:
- This has been a good break but it’s been a tough break. Still likes where they are, still have a shot for division and conference.
- They are in a good spot from a health stand point, as good as you can be at this point in the season.
- Kelly Bryant has looked better every day. Not taking any plays off the table for Bryant, running the QB is part of what they do, just don’t take unnecessary hits.
- Marcus Edmond is back in practice but not back in green jersey yet.
- Kicking situation is frustrating because he sees Spence making kicks in practice. Spence is still out front in the kicking competition but it continues this week and he has no idea who will go out first.
- He’s addressed the boxing issue with his team. That has been settled.
- Talked with TE Garrett Williams (coming off ACL) and the plan is to redshirt him as of today.
Dabo Swinney previews Georgia Tech
Swinney on not adjusting offense to protect Kelly Bryant coming off injury
Swinney anxious to see how team responds coming off first loss
Swinney emphasizes the importance of this game