Clemson’s defense passed its first big test of the season last Saturday night pounding Auburn into submission with 11 sacks and allowing just 117 total yards. Now, the Tigers step up in offensive class with a showdown against Louisville and Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Lamar Jackson. Jackson is averaging a nation’s best 505 total yards per game thru two games. That would rank him 26th nationally among teams. Against the Tigers last season Jackson accounted for 457 yards and 3 touchdowns.
Notes from Dabo Swinney press conference:
- Has a lot of respect for Louisville, they’ve had a lot of great battles and doesn’t expect this one to be any different.
- UL has very good offensive line and the group of receivers is strong, lots of experience on the defensive side.
- Recalled they had 5 turnovers against Louisville in last year’s win and can’t afford to give Jackson extra snaps.
- UL more five man protection this year compared to max protect last year, getting passes out to backs, not making many mistakes.
- Dorian O’Daniel is one of the best football players they’ve had come thru, only LB who can cover Renfrow.
- Starting RB will remain a game time decision.
- CB Marcus Edmond did not practice Monday with a foot sprain and is day to day.
- SAF Van Smith did practice Monday and looked good.
Dabo Swinney gives his take on the Louisville Cardinals
Swinney on limiting Lamar Jackson’s opportunities with the football
Swinney would love for defense to pick up where it left off last week
Swinney loves the depth they’ve developed in the secondary