Will Muschamp’s first season at USC was not a complete disaster. He did beat Tennessee and he did get the Gamecocks to a bowl game. He also made the midseason decision to play quarterback Jake Bentley as a true freshman kickstarting the offense and giving hope for the future. Muschamp’s goal as he begins his second pre-season camp with the Gamecocks Monday morning is to build on year one and take this year’s team further up that mountain towards an SEC championship.
Sunday afternoon at Williams-Brice Stadium Muschamp met with the media as part of picture day and answered any and all questions as they pertained to the upcoming season.
Some of Muschamp’s key comments:
- On the three signees were not in for the summer, OL Jordan Rhodes is on campus, DB Keisean Nixon will be cleared Monday or Tuesday and OL Jordon Carty won’t be cleared until later in August.
- WR Korey Banks has moved to corner.
- DB Jaylon Dickerson has a nerver strain in his shoulder which he suffered in the spring. He be no contact starting out.
- TE KC Crosby is day to day after having a knee scope two weeks ago but should be cleared in the first week.
- WR Randrecous Davis had some fluid on his groin removed and is day to day but should be cleared after the first 3-4 days.
- Still thin in front seven on defensive line, can’t afford injuries there and that’s concerning, concerned about specialists.
- Need to be more consistent and more physical as an organization.
- Feels like the move of Bailey to right tackle has gone well but neither tackle spot is locked down.
- Feels they are much improved in the secondary but need to continue to build depth at safety.
- Bentley has made as much progress mentally as physically, game is starting to slow down for him.
- No question the defense will be faster this season, had a “Southern Bell” defense last season, “reach out and touch someone.”
- Excited about the culture of his team right now, the amount of ownership the players have taken in preparation.
Muschamp on Jake Bentley having a complete handle on the offense
Muschamp on having Skai Moore back & comments on other personnel
Muschamp on new entrance for recruits, the eclipse & improving on defense