Clemson played poorly down the stretch of the season but not poorly enough to play its way out of a host role for the upcoming NCAA baseball regionals. The Tigers were named by the selection committee Sunday night as one of 16 regional hosts, this despite the fact they lost 11 of their last 16 games and 10 of their last 11 ACC games including both in the ACC Tournament.
Clemson is 39-19 and is one of five ACC teams chosen as hosts joining Florida State, Louisville, North Carolina and Wake Forest. The regional will begin on Friday unless BYU is assigned to Clemson. In that case the regional will begin Thursday.
This is the second year in a row the Tigers have earned a regional site and the 15th time since 1980. The Tigers will be appearing in the NCAA Tournament for a 42nd time including 30 of the last 31 years.
The full 64 team NCAA Tournament field will be announced at Noon Monday on ESPN2.
Here’s the complete list of regional hosts:
- LSU (Baton Rouge Regional)
- North Carolina (Chapel Hill Regional)
- Clemson (Clemson Regional)
- Oregon State (Corvallis Regional)
- Arkansas (Fayetteville Regional)
- TCU (For Worth Regional)
- Florida (Gainesville Regional)
- Southern Miss (Hattiesburg Regional)
- Houston Regional (Houston)
- Kentucky (Lexington Regional)
- Long Beach State (Long Beach Regional)
- Louisville (Louisville Regional)
- Texas Tech (Lubbock Regional)
- Stanford (Stanford Regional)
- Florida State (Tallahassee Regional)
- Wake Forest (Winston-Salem Regional)