NC State is the next item on the menu for Clemson this Saturday for Homecoming at Death Valley. The Tigers and Wolfpack stand alone atop the ACC’s Atlantic Division though State is only 1-0 in league play. The Tigers are 3-0, 6-0 overall, and winners of 20 straight regular season games.
Tuesday Clemson coach Dabo Swinney sent a message to the Tiger fans, some of whom are disgruntled over the 12:00 PM kickoff…forget about it and get behind the team. Swinney sees a dangerous Wolfpack team coming to Clemson Saturday, one that he called the best under Dave Doeren.
Graduate transfer quarterback Ryan Finley is one of the nation’s most accurate passers at .695. He has 9 touchdown passes with no interceptions. Running back Matthew Dayes is coming off a 126 yard rushing performance in the win over Notre Dame last Saturday in Raleigh and is averaging over 112 rushing yards per game. Jalen Samuels is one of the most versatile players in the country lining up at tight end, receiver and in the backfield. He leads the team with 21 receptions, is third in rushing with 102 yards and has scored 7 touchdowns. And the State defense leads the ACC and is 8th nationally against the rush allowing 91 yards per game.
Some of Dabo Swinney’s key comments Tuesday:
- NC State is a veteran team with 17 starters back and their all older players. They are playing well with a lot of confidence.
- Impressed with NC State quarterback who transferred from Boise State, and the new OC is from Boise State. Also impressed with running back.
- NC State is very good on defense, best defensive front they have faced this season along with Auburn’s.
- Played their poorest defensive game of the season last year against NC State, allowed too many chunk plays and big returns.
- They’re in a good place with a 6-0 start and 3 road wins, only power 5 team with 3 road wins. Starting to get some guys back who’ve been out.
- Renfrow will be back after the open date. He’s been practicing every day but hasn’t been cleared to play in a game.
- The big plays last week were the result of getting the running game going and catching the football, fewer drops than first two weeks.
- Jalen Williams could be released this week to play. Been practicing in green this week. Considered very probable.
- Same two coaches who coached kickoff coverage team are on it this season. Players are taking a lot of pride in coverage. 5th nationally.
- Feaster has handled his limited role great. Low maintenance player, has great respect for veterans, has a great future.
- Boulware is a great football player. “Nothing dirty about Ben Boulware except that beard he’s got.”
- Fruhmorgen had his worse game of his career at Boston College, poor job with technique.
Dabo Swinney opening comments
Dabo Swinney encourages fans to be into the game
Dabo Swinney rejects claims Ben Boulware is a dirty player