Dabo Swinney is ready to embark on his 8th full season at Clemson at a most unfriendly location for an Alabama grad, Auburn’s Jordan-Hare Stadium.
Of course, Swinney’s Crimson Tide roots will have little to do with the emotions of the Auburn crowd Saturday night. They will be hopeful their team can follow the Alabama lead from the National Championship Game last January and hand Clemson a second straight defeat, a fate Clemson hasn’t suffered since 2011.
Swinney declared his team ready to play at his weekly press conference Tuesday. He expressed high hopes for his offense and did not exhibit a great deal of concern for his defense. Regarding Auburn, Swinney expects Gus Malzahn to have his offense back operating at a high tempo and looks for Kevin Steele to roll out a strong defense.
Here are more of Swinney’s key comments:
- Auburn defensive front is very good, Clemson recruited several of them. Feels defensively Auburn will be a challenge.
- Have to be sound and disciplined on defense vs Auburn’s offense. Auburn will try to run the ball with lots of shifts & motions.
- Sean White can really throw the football, good pocket presence and doesn’t get rattled. He did some good things last year.
- Down a touchdown when you get off the bus at Auburn because it’s a tough place to play.
- Clemson’s offense has the potential to be as good as any he’s ever had.
- Mike Williams is the best he’s seen of him at Clemson. Austin Bryant continues to get better in his rehab.
- “We’ve still got a lot to prove. I’m as hungry as I’ve ever been.”
- Nothing has changed over his years at Clemson, expectation is to win every game.
- Team has been very consistent, as consistent as any time in the country, and that’s culture. No complacency.
- “Kevin Steele is a heck of a coach, always has been. We didn’t have a change here because he’s not a good coach.”
Take a listen to Swinney’s opening remarks and scouting report on Auburn:
Here’s more Swinney regarding his team going into the opener:
Check out what Swinney said about the approach to this season and facing former DC Kevin Steele: