Will Muschamp held his first weekly news conference to preview USC’s upcoming season opener at Vanderbilt Thursday night. Muschamp dropped a pretty shocking nugget at the beginning of this comments when he said senior corner back Rico McWilliams decided to quit football. McWilliams was with the team Friday and even spoke to the media after practice. He had missed some time the previous week to go to Louisiana to help his family that was dealing with the flooding in that area. McWilliams was projected as a starter coming out of spring practice, but was behind Rashad Fenton by the end of fall camp.
Muschamp also said wide receiver Christian Owens made the decision to transfer out of the program to a school closer to home.
Other highlights from Muschamp:
- Muschamp still has not told the quarterbacks who will start Thursday night.
- Muschamp said he has an idea what direction they are going to go in at QB, but wants to see a few more practices before making the call.
- Regardless of who starts, Muschamp expects to play two quarterbacks against Vanderbilt.
- There will be a running back by committee; AJ Turner is the “clear” number one, but David Williams will get reps too. Rod Talley could also get carries.
- Muschamp said he has three categories of players for this game: Green light players, who are going to play not matter white; yellow light players, who they feel like they are ready to see some action but coaches need to be aware when they are in the game; red light players, who are on the fringe of red-shirting and there needs to be a discussion among the coaches before they enter the game.
Take a listen to a bit of what Muschamp had to say below: