USC had a golden opportunity Saturday night to score one of the major upsets of the season. The Gamecocks went toe to toe with 4th ranked Auburn before losing 42-35. Steve Spurrier was at the top of his game with his daring play calling and overall strategy. But his offensive genius and overall play calling guts were not enough to overcome the matchup of Auburn’s high powered offense and USC’s porous defense.
Some of Spurrier’s key comments from Sunday:
- Most severe injury sprained ankle by Skai Moore, may be doubtful this week.
- Needed to force some field goal and get some turnovers but it didn’t work out.
- Turnovers by USC in the red zone turned it from a great game into a good game by the offense.
- Tennessee has a good team but is playing with a lot of effort and energy.
- Confidence on the defense is not real good and the coaches are disappointed. Get blocked a lot, out of position a lot, don’t tackle well.
- Has tried to work with the defense. Spurrier: “I can’t coach it all.”
- Spurrier still feels confident in the defensive coaches. “Certainly, certainly. We thought we’d be a little bit better than we are now.”
- “We’re not talking any changes. All of our coaches are under contract and have security.”
- Doesn’t know if they could have gotten a better throw on the final pass.
- Spurrier indicates he went into the game with the mindset to go for broke at nearly every opportunity.