Stop it Tiger fans. Stop it. Stop it. Stop it. Dabo Swinney doesn’t want to hear it. Stop the loud cheering for freshman quarterback Deshaun Watson when he goes in for a series to replace senior starter Cole Stoudt. And stop the groaning when Stoudt returns.
That was the clear, loud message from Swinney Monday morning on his conference call. Stoudt is the starting quarterback and will remain so until he does something to lose the job. Tiger fans can dream all they want about what the offense might look like with Watson at the control fulltime. But for now, that’s all it is. A dream.
Swinney said he’s very pleased with the play of both quarterbacks and Stoudt has given them no reason to consider making a change. Period.
So, get over it.
As for other notes of interest from the SC State game and moving forward:
- The team was very focused for four quarters. Played almost 80 guys. Game a culmination of a great week. Lot of positives in the game.
- Thought the guys played very well for four quarters. Holding a team to 44 yards is a “great, great performance.”
- Very pleased to see Dorian O’Daniel on special teams. He had 5 tackles. Did not have to punt for only the 2nd time since he’s been coach.
- Very clean performance on the offense. Great to see the young talent like Scott, Kitt, Gallman, Choice, Crowder, Guillermo, Leggett emerge.
- Got better. Got to continue to develop the depth. Next goal is to win the division as they get into conference play.
- Will be very few teams as battle tested as Clemson after the first three games.
- Will get Martin Jenkins back this week. Overall in pretty good shape. Will see where Sam Cooper is this week.
- Starting to see JJ McCullough come along. He’s making good progress at tight end. Was a running back in high school.
- Pleased with Guillermo’s performance. He’s emerging and they’ve seen that since the spring. Has become serious about being a good player.
- Artavis Scott looks like a veteran guy. Playing with confidence and playing fast.
- Stoudt is the starter and he’s not into pleasing the fans when it comes to playing Watson.