Clemson will roll up to Syracuse this weekend to face the top ranked and unbeaten Orange (Don’t you dare call them Orangemen you sexist!) in the Carrier Dome. Clemson is 15-6, and a very respectable 6-3 in the ACC. Syracuse is 22-0, and 9-0 in league play. The fun begins just after 6:00 Sunday evening on ESPN-U.
Here are interesting factoids from the game notes followed by a preview from Brad Brownell and K.J. McDaniels:
• Clemson and Syracuse meet for the third time in history on Sunday, the first as ACC foes. The Tigers have won both games played in the series.
• The Tigers are facing the nation’s top-ranked team Sunday. It is their first game against the No. 1 team since the 2008 ACC Championship game versus North Carolina.
• Clemson’s last true road game against the nation’s No. 1 team came in 2003-04 at Duke. The Tigers are playing their 10th game all-time on the home court of the nation’s No. 1 ranked team.
• Clemson makes its first trip to the Carrier Dome since the 1990 ACC-Big East Challenge, when the Tigers played Seton Hall as part of a doubleheader.
• The last time the two programs met, Clemson won 74-70 in the quarterfinals of the 2007 National Invitation Tournament, which sent the Tigers to New York City and Madison Square Garden for the semifinals.
• Brad Brownell would be the 17th different coach to defeat Hall of Famers Mike Krzyzewski and Jim Boeheim in the same season with a win Sunday.
• Clemson is coming off its ninth straight home win over Georgia Tech, breaking the record for consecutive home wins over an ACC opponent.
• K.J. McDaniels is celebrating his 21st birthday Sunday.
• Syracuse forward Jerami Grant is the younger brother of 2011 Clemson graduate Jerai Grant, who was an All-ACC Defensive Team selection as a senior.