USC has this whole close loss routine down pat. The Gamecocks followed a familiar script in a 79-74 loss to Auburn at Colonial Life Arena Wednesday night. They hung around, fought back from a double digit deficit to give themselves a shot, and then proceeded to lose close. It’s the story of the season for Frank Martin’s crew.
A few items of note:
- USC was down 16 with 13:20 left in the game. A 13-0 run got them back into it, but they were never able to claim the lead.
- The Gamecocks only lead was at the 19: 34 mark of the first half when Duane Notice opened the game with a three.
- USC was 13-22 from the free throw line (59.1%).
- Brenton Williams continued his solid play with a 29 point effort. He was 6-10 on 3-pointers.
- Mindaugas Kacinas earned the gold star for best Gamecock post player. He had 14 points and six rebounds.
- Duane Notice finished with 12 points, six rebounds, three assists, and three turnovers.
- Sindarius Thornwell finished with just eight points, but almost brought the house down with an athletic move on the baseline in the first half that ended with him getting fouled as he attempted a thunderous dunk. He also had nine assists.
Here’s some of what Frank Martin had to say after the game:
And here’s my video recap: