Here is the recap of the third quarter of the Orange Bowl:
- Ohio State had the ball to start the second half. The Buckeyes were unable to put together another scoring drive and punted.
- Clemson’s first drive of the second half started on its own 12. The Tigers picked up a couple of first downs, but ended up punting from their own 43.
- OSU took over on its own 23 after the punt, but a holding call moved it back to the 13. The Buckeyes moved it to the Clemson 32 where they faced a 4th and inches. The Buckeyes went for it and Carlos Hyde broke off a big run to the Tigers 1. One play later Hyde plunged in to extend the Buckeye lead to 9, 29-20 with 5:50 left in the third quarter.
- Ohio State drive summary: 9-87-4:47
- Clemson started its next drive on its own 17. The Tigers were flagged for holding on the first play and ended up punting three plays later when they failed to convert a third and one.
- Ohio State muffed the punt though and Clemson recovered on the OSU 33. Three plays later Tajh Boyd found Sammy Watkins in the end zone for a 30 yard touchdown. That made it 29-27 Ohio State with 2:47 to play in the quarter.
- Clemson drive summary: 3-33-:49
- Ohio State’s next possession started on its own 25. Three plays later Braxton Miller was intercepted and Clemson took over on the OSU 38.
- Clemson made the Buckeyes pay for the turnover again. Tajh Boyd tossed another touchdown, this one to Martavis Bryant from three yards out to give the Tigers a 34-29 lead with :32 left in the quarter.
- Clemson drive summary: 4-38-1:25
THIRD QUARTER SCORE: Clemson 34, Ohio State 29