Here is the recap of the second quarter here at the Orange Bowl.
- Clemson opened the second quarter with a punt. The 42 yard punt was downed at the 24 of Ohio State.
- Ohio State didn’t do a thing with its first possession of the second quarter. Three plays later they punted it back to Clemson from their own 16.
- Clemson’s offense quickly moved back into OSU’s side of the field and inside the Buckeyes 10 yard line. The Tigers had a third and goal from the six when Tajh Boyd scrambled to his right and tried to float a pass into the end zone. It was intercepted by the Buckeyes.
- Ohio State took over on its own 5. The Buckeyes moved it to the 13, but could not pick up a first down and punted.
- Clemson took over on its own 23 after the punt. The Tigers marched right down the field again, except this time they found pay dirt. Tajh Boyd hit Martavis Bryant for a three yard touchdown connection to make it 20-9 with 6:16 left in the half. Chandler Catanzaro missed the extra point.
- Clemson drive summary: 7-77-2:35
- Ohio State had an answer on its next drive though. The Buckeyes went 85 yards in four plays for a touchdown. The final 57 yards came on a pass from Braxton Miller to Jeff Heuerman. The Buckeyes missed the extra point though. That made the score 20-15 Clemson with just over three minutes left in the half.
- Ohio State drive summary: 5-85-2:37
- Clemson moved across midfield on its next possession, but the Tigers drive stalled on the Buckeyes 40. Swinney went for it on 4th and 5 and the Tigers were stopped short.
- OSU was called for a dead ball penalty and started on its own 21. The Buckeyes drove the field and put a touchdown on the board. Braxton Miller did most of the work on the drive, including the three yard run for the score. That made it 22-20 with :17 left in the half.
- OSU drive summary: 5-79-:57
HALFTIME SCORE: Ohio State 22, Clemson 20.