Here is the first quarter recap from the Orange Bowl:
- Clemson won the toss and opted to receive the ball to start the game. The Tigers started on the 25. The Tigers picked up a first down and moved the ball to the near midfield two plays later. That set up a third and short play. Tajh Boyd ran up the middle and went almost untouched 48 yards into the end zone. That put Clemson up 7-0 with 12:50 left in the quarter.
- Clemson drive summary: 6-75-2:10
- Ohio State started its first drive on its own 25. The Buckeyes picked up one first down, but were unable to move the chains on the next series. Braxton Miller was sacked for a big loss on third down. However, Vic Beasley was hit for a taunting penalty gave the Buckeyes an automatic first down. Again the Tigers prevented the Buckeyes from getting a first down, but OSU faked the punt on 4th-2 and moved the chains. That set up a 33 yard run for a touchdown from Braxton Miller that tied the game at 7-7 with 5:44 left in the quarter.
- Ohio State drive summary: 13-75-7:06
- Clemson started its next drive on the 25. In the blink of an eye the Tigers were back in the end zone. Tajh Boyd hit Sammy Watkins for a 34 touchdown. That made it 14-7 Tigers with 4:56 to play in the quarter.
- Clemson drive summary: 4-75-:48
- Ohio State moved back into Clemson territory on its next possession but the drive stalled on the Tigers 41. The Buckeyes punted on a 4th-6 play. The punt was downed at the one.
- On Clemson’s first play from the one Tajh Boyd dropped back to pass and was called for intentional grounding when he was forced to throw it under heavy pressure.
- The safety made it 14-9 Clemson with 2:25 left in the quarter.
- Clemson’s defense was able to prevent further damage though and forced Ohio State to punt after three plays on its next drive.
- Clemson started on its own 16. The Tigers were stopped on third down at the 33 when the quarter ended.
FIRST QUARTER SCORE: Clemson 14, Ohio State 9