Clemson coach Dabo Swinney jumped on a conference call Monday morning to share some final thoughts on the Tigers win at Virginia over the weekend and to peek ahead to next Thursday’s matchup with Georgia Tech. We’ve got some of the highlights from Dabo below along with a link to the audio from the call:
- Proud of guys for how they competed, very impressive win, best game for them in a while, most complete game.
- Two weeks in a row they’ve gotten a little bit better.
- Got better as game moved on, 10 three and outs on defense, thought players competed better on the back end of defense.
- Fewest mental errors they’ve had, threw and caught well, good things going in the running game. Solid in special teams.
- Got a chance to get some guys healthy this week. Doing some work on themselves and then start some work on Georgia Tech.
- CJ Davidson had an MCL injury and will be fitted for a brace, Ronald Geoghagan also had an MCL.
- Schedule for this off week the same as the first one but will treat it differently because next game is on a Thursday. Will practice Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and do community service Friday. Game week starts Saturday.
- Not much has changed with Georgia Tech on offense. “They do what they do. Playing solid football. Always a tough task to beat these guys.”
- Very encouraged by the play of some young lineman Saturday like Guillermo and Battle.
- Really pleased with the play of Jayron Kearse. “The game is really slowing down for him. Athleticism and confidence are shining through.”
- That was probably the best the safeties have played all season…Kearse, Blanks, Smith and Jadar Johnson.
- ‘I love the talent that we have on campus, we just have to develop and grow it,” Swinney said about the freshman defensive backs.
- Expects to get Garry Peters back in time for the Georgia Tech game.
- Adrian Baker would have played this season had he not gotten hurt early in pre-season.
- Community service project will be going to Anderson and building a habitat home.