Steve Spurrier hasn’t admitted to many sleepless nights over a loss during his hall of fame coaching career, but Spurrier said during his Sunday teleconference that some of his decisions from the loss at Tennessee Saturday kept him up thru the night. The injury to quarterback Connor Shaw and the fact the Gamecocks missed out on a chance for better positioning in the SEC East race also may have been running thru Spurrier’s mind as well.
Spurrier’s key comments from conference call:
- Shaw is walking around a little bit, has a brace on knee, not going to practice first two or three days, not sure of status for Saturday.
- Quarles has a knee sprain and his status for Saturday is iffy.
- Offense struggled all day with 8 punts, defense played well for most part except for couple of big catches for Tennessee.
- Did not run ball as well has they have been. Give Tennessee credit for playing well with no turnovers and good kicking game.
- Missouri has an excellent team and their wins have not been flukes.
- Mizzou has two outstanding quarterbacks and Mauk was the national player of the year in high school. They throw it all around the place.
- Mizzou has tall receivers who can go get it and USC secondary will be tested.
- Spurrier doubtful Shaw will be able to do much this week. Brandon Wilds remains out with his elbow.
- He didn’t sleep much last night with stuff on his mind related to play calling.
- Wishes he had thrown one or two passes on last possession because needed one or two first downs. Would have gone for it on 4th and 1.
- Ellington only had one ball thrown at it him during the game.
- Waldrop still has boot on his foot, not sure if he will be back this week.