A quick recap of the first quarter action between Clemson and Florida State:
- Florida State won the toss and deferred to the second half. That gave Clemson the ball first for the 17th straight game. Clemson completed a nine yard to Stanton Seckinger, but he fumbled after he caught it and the Noles recovered.
- FSU took over on the 34 after the fumble recovery. Three plays later Jameis Winston hit Kelvin Benjamin for a 22 yard touchdown play. That made it 7-0 FSU with 13:38 to play.
- FSU drive summary: 3 plays, 34 yards, 1:14 off the clock.
- Sammy Watkins had a nice return on the ensuing kickoff. He took it out to the 33 yard line for the Tigers. Clemson picked up one first down and moved the ball to midfield before they were forced to punt three plays later.
- Florida State started its next drive just inside its own 20. The Seminoles put together an impressive 15 play drive, but it stalled on the Clemson 11 yard line and they had to settle for a field goal. The 28 yarder was good to make it 10-0 Florida State with 4:18 to play in the quarter.
- Florida State drive summary: 16 plays, 77 yards, 7:39 off the clock.
- Clemson started on its own 26 after the kickoff. The Tigers moved across midfield, but once again were burned by a fumble. Tajh Boyd was sacked for an 18 yard loss and he fumbled. It was recovered by FSU’s Mario Edwards and returned 37 yards for a touchdown. That made it 17-0 Florida State with 3:07 to play in the quarter.
- Clemson’s offense showed some signs of life on its next possession. After moving the chains a few times the Tigers moved into the red zone and inside the 10 yard line on an 18 yard completion to Mike Williams. One play later Tajh Boyd hit Sammy Watkins for the Tigers first score of the day. That made it 17-7 with :51 to play in the quarter.
- Clemson drive summary: 11 plays, 65 yards, 2:16 off the clock.
- Florida State had a nice return to the 35 on the kickoff. Winston ran for 18 yards and a first down and the Noles were on the Clemson 45 as the quarter ended.
FIRST QUARTER SCORE: FSU 17, Clemson 7